Saturday, February 9, 2013

TV Special Review: It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Nothing spooky, just fun for kids of all ages
Cons: No extras
The Bottom Line
Halloween staple
Enjoy in a pumpkin patch
No rocks are involved




A Classic Peanuts Halloween Special

I didn't grow up watching It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown every year on TV.  However, I liked it immediately because of my love for the Peanuts gang.

There are several story threads, but no one overall story. The gang's plans for Halloween night are interspersed with scenes of Snoopy being a WWI Flying Ace and Charlie Brown trying to kick the football because he has a signed note from Lucy. (Classic line - "It's not notarized.") Charlie Brown cuts too many holes in his ghost sheet, gets rocks in his bag, and becomes a model for a pumpkin face. Meanwhile, Linus and Sally await the Great Pumpkin.

Even with no overall plot, this is an entertaining half hour. However, by sticking in several story lines, it's able to include all the characters and themes from the strip itself. Linus and Sally waiting for the Great Pumpkin is a personal favorite from the strips, and I loved those scenes. Although I must admit I wonder what Snoopy's scene have to do with Halloween.

The Peanuts specials have never been known for their outstanding animation, and this is no exception. Either you like the minimalist approach and watch for the characters, or it will irritate you. Of course, loving the characters helps me love these specials. The use of real kids instead of actors makes the dialog sound unprofessional, but I can't picture them sounding any other way.

The DVD offers no extra beyond these two classic TV specials. The picture is sharp and the sound is great, however.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown belongs in any Peanuts fan's library.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.