Monday, August 19, 2013

Ornament Review: Wicket and Teebo - Star Wars #17 - 2013 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great detail of two fun characters
Cons: Out of scale to rest of series; Wicket tips
The Bottom Line:
Wicket and Teebo
A duo of ornaments
So cute and deadly




Two Lovable Ewoks, I Mean Ornaments

I know there is a faction in Star Wars fandom that doesn't like the Ewoks.  I'm not part of that group.  In fact, I find these guys from Return of the Jedi to be very cute and a whole lot of fun.  They make what could be a retread scene for the climax actually fun.  So I was excited when I learned that, as part of the 30th anniversary celebration of Return of the Jedi, Hallmark would add Wicket And Teebo to their Star War ornament line.

Now, this isn't the first time that Hallmark has released Ewoks.  They released a trio of miniature Ewok ornaments back in 1998.  But I'm not a big fan of the miniature ornaments, so I never tracked that set down when I started collecting a few years back.  So as far as I am concerned, this was the first chance to get Ewoks.

The is actually a set of two ornaments, so each Ewok is a separate ornament.  Let's look at Wicket first.  He's the smaller of the two, but he's holding a spear straight up, so the two pieces around about the same height.  He's mostly tan and brown with a reddish brown wrap over his head and upper body.

Teebo is holding his spear sticking out, so he's actually the wider of the two ornaments.  He's black with gray stripes and has a rhinoish mask on his head.  He also has a pouch and a horn slung over his shoulders.

Okay, I must confess I'm not enough of a Star Wars geek to know who they are by name.  However, I immediately did recognize them as key Ewoks from the film.  The detail on these ornaments is nice as always.  And I really like the fact that these are two separate pieces instead of trying to create a scene where they are together.

Of course, since these are full sized ornaments, that does mean they are out of scale with the rest of the releases from the official Star Wars series.  They aren't as big as some of the other releases, but they are certainly bigger than they should be.  It doesn't bother me, but it might bother some purists.

This is the release in the official Star Wars Hallmark ornament series for 2013.  The biggest thing I was wondering was which ornament would get the honor of having the 17 in the Christmas tree to show they are part of the official line.  And the answer is…both of them.  The feet on both of the ornaments has the marking as well as the copyright information.

Speaking of feet, they will both stand on their own.  Teebo seems to lean a bit when you first set him down, but he is stable in that position.  And it gives him a look of being in action about to stab someone.  Wicket stands up straight with no problem.

The issue of balance goes the other way when you go to hang the ornaments.  Teebo hangs perfectly straight, but it's Wicket who tips slightly to the right.  It's noticeable, but it's not enough to ruin the ornaments for me.

This was the biggest gap in my Star Wars ornament collection, and I'm glad to have it filled.  Wicket And Teebo will have a place of honor for many years to come.

Be sure to check out the rest of the Star Wars ornament series

Original Price: $17.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.