Saturday, September 7, 2013

Ornament Review: Sewing for Cinderelly - 2013 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great sculpt of Jaq and Gus
Cons: Tips when you hang it
The Bottom Line:
Gathering some cloth
Jaq and Gus ready to help
Make their friend a dress




Jaq and Gus are Ready to Help get Cinderella's Dress Ready for the Ball

I always pay attention to Hallmark's limited edition offerings, so there was one I knew I wanted to buy in July.  With as big a DisNerd as I am, is it any surprise that I knew I wanted Sewing for Cinderelly?

This ornament features Jaq and Gus, the two mice with the most screen time from the movie Cinderella.  Jaq is standing up straight and looking up while smiling.  Gus is also smiling, but he is bent over.  Both of them are holding up a piece of pink cloth for the other mice to use is sewing the dress for Cinderella to wear to the ball.

This ties in perfectly with another ornament that Hallmark released this year - Cinderelly! Cinderelly!  That ornament shows the dress that the mice create for her and have a clip of the song they sing while they make it.  Of course, these mice are really out of scale if you place them side by side.  Jaq is about two thirds as large as the other ornament.  Of course, I think even as mini ornaments, it would be hard to create them the correct size, especially with any kind of detail.

And this does have good detail.  The faces are large and expressive.  Jaq is wearing his orange and red while Gus wears his green outfits from the movie.  Even the pink cloth they are holding is plastic, but it looks great with some folds to it as if it were real.

The cloth also forms part of the base of the ornament.  Between that and the feet of the mice, you've got a great base to use to display it on any shelf or flat surface year round.  Because, let's face it, there isn't much Christmassy about the ornament.

Gus does have a loop on his left year, so if you want to hang it on your tree you can.  I wasn't too surprised to find that it tips when you hang it.  After all, the loop isn't centered.  It tips back and to the right, so toward Jaq's tail.  In some ways that's good because you can see the expression on Gus's face better.  And it would be fairly easy to disguise in the branches of your Christmas tree.

Jaq and Gus are popular supporting Disney characters, so I wasn't too surprised to learn that Sewing for Cinderelly was a popular limited edition ornament.  I know I'm thrilled to have mine.

Original Price: $14.95


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.