Friday, June 27, 2014

June 27th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Welcome to Friday!  Almost there for the weekend!  And it also means it is time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm featuring another pre-release - The Prime Minister's Secret Agent by Susan Elia MacNeal.  The book comes out on Tuesday, but I've read an ARC this week, so look for my review on Tuesday.


This is the fourth in a series about Maggie Hope, American raised but with dual citizenship, she finds herself working under cover to help the British as World War II begins.  I will say this, you definitely need to read the books in order or you won't enjoy them as much.

Anyway, here's how Chapter 1 begins:

Maggie Hope had thought that summer in Berlin was hell, but it was nothing compared to the inferno of darkness that now raged in her own head, even as she was "safe as houses" in Arisaig, on the western coast of Scotland.

And, skipping ahead to Page 56:

The Prime Minister chewed harder on his cigar, then banged his fist on the table, making Nelson jump.  [The cat] pretended to groom himself to restore his dignity, then slunk off.

See how nice I am.  I filled in who Nelson was for you without you even needing to ask.

18 comments:

  1. Oh poor kitty. Apart from the cat I don't think this is my kind of read, I tend to stay away from books with political or war aspects :)

    My BB and 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely on the more serious side of what I read, but they are really good.

      Delete
  2. LOL It would have read odd for us if you had simply put "Nelson pretended to groom himself......"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is exactly what the sentences says, but I decided it would be just a tad too odd out of context.

      Delete
  3. "Safe as house," seems like a good writer. I would love to read this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very well done series. I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a really interesting read! And I do feel like half of the things cats do are designed to make them appear nonchalant! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a great weekend :)
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting observation about cats. I'll have to start paying more attention and see if you are right.

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a good series. I'm fascinated by World War II so I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: INTERIOR DESIGNS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are fascinated by World War II, you will love this series. You'll feel like you are right there as you read.

      Delete
  6. Now that has a great cover!

    Here is my POST.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been interested in this book for awhile but not enough to actually look it up since I didn't know it was part of a series! I do like the sounds of the writing so I'll definitely have to go hunt up the first one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you get a chance to read it, I hope you enjoy.

      Delete
  8. Not a series I'm familiar with. Thanks for the intro.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Glad I could introduce it to you.

      Delete
  9. I like the description of the cat. Really want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make the time to read it. You'll be very glad you did.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.