Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Book Review: If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff; Illustrated by Felicia Bond



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Charming and creative
Cons: A tad simple
The Bottom Line:
The charming pictures
And creative progression
Make this a winner




Just Look What a Mouse Eating a Cookie Leads To

I know how I missed If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.  It came out after my brother was too old for picture books.  But somehow, it only vaguely crossed my radar before a recent family vacation with my niece.  After reading it, I can see why kids and parents still enjoy it almost 30 years later.

Giving a mouse a cookie might seem like a simple kindness, but you never know where it might lead.  After all, milk has to go with a cookie, but somehow that leads to housework and even creating art.

Now if the book sounds simple, that's because it really is.  There is just a minimal plot (if that).  All you are wondering is just what the current action will lead the mouse to want to do next.  I like the fact that he isn't all selfish or demanding since some of the time he's helping you.  And I love the creativity of where each action leads next.  I certainly never would have come up with this list, yet it does have a certain logic to it.

The illustrations add to the fun.  Each page just has a sentence or two on it, but the pictures fill in any gaps.  They are detailed and great to look at on their own.

Combined the two, and you have a very charming picture book that kids and their parents will love.

Laura Jobbe Numeroff and illustrator Felicia Bond are to be commended for taking a simple idea and combining things for a charming book.  If you haven't read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie yet, find a child to read it to today.  You'll both enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.