Friday, July 4, 2014

July 4th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Happy 4th of July everyone.  Whether you are in America and you celebrate or not, it is still a Friday, which is always reason to celebrate.  If you are in America, I hope you have a great long weekend and enjoy some extra time with family, friends, and a good book.

Speaking of books (see what I did there?), it's time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.  This week, we're going with a book I hope to finish today.  Either way, the review will be up next week since I'm in the final hundred pages.  And what book is that?  Death on Eat Street by J.J. Cook.


This is the first in a new series featuring a young woman who runs a food truck hoping to earn enough to fix up and open her restaurant.

And here's the first line:

It had been the worst day of my life.

Trust me, if she only knew what was coming....

But that would be a spoiler, so we'll skip ahead to page 56 instead.  Okay, so there is a better quote on page 58 since 56 doesn't really have any good quotes to pull.

"You don't really know her, Zoe.  Why would you go out on a limb like this for her?"
Now if you will excuse me, my pillow is calling.

21 comments:

  1. Very smooth move between topics! Happy 4th of July! That beginning doesn't spell well for the heroine! I think I romanticize a food truck in my mind, because it sounds amazing! Not if death happens though, that puts a damper on most things! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, they've found a way to put murder into just about everything you can imagine for cozy mysteries. Still doesn't hamper the fun for me.

      Delete
  2. Happy 4th of July!

    Aw don't want any spoilers but I get it gets worse for this woman ;)

    my BB and 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it would be a very boring book if it didn't, right?

      Delete
  3. I read Eat Street and loved it. Happy reading and Happy Fourth!
    sherry @ My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun book. Great choice.
    Here's mine - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/07/04/the-friday-56-26-wherewolves-no-i-didnt-spell-it-wrong/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark, I loved this book and can't wait for the second in the series! That first sentence says it all doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first sentence really does say it all, doesn't it? I'm looking forward to the second as well.

      Delete
  6. This series is on my wishlist! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll enjoy it when you get a chance to read it.

      Delete
  7. Sounds fun. I hope she can fix up that truck, though.

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the restaurant she's bought and is hoping to fix up gets worse treatment then the truck does in the book, despite that picture.

      Delete
    2. Oh no...I bet the book is so good.

      THANKS, Mark.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a fun cozy that I'd love. By the way, I always enjoy your blog posts and your friendly, conversational style. Keep it up!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: SIX MONTHS IN MONTANA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It's nice to know you enjoy reading my blog.

      Delete
  9. Worse day of their lives but only to get worse is definitely intriguing!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have to get worse if the book is going to be any good, right?

      Delete
  10. Sometimes you do it just because you care. I luv the title.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.