Monday, February 23, 2015

Movie Review: Three Amigos



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Funny western with actors as the heroes
Cons: Randomness will turn off some
The Bottom Line:
Actors turn heroes
Random comedic moments
Classic still brings laughs




Actors Get in Over Their Heads in Old Mexico

My brother has raved about Three Amigos for years, and somehow I had never managed to see it.  On a recent visit, we fixed that.  While I didn’t find it quite as funny as he did, I certainly did enjoy it.

The movie tells the story of Lucky Day, Dusty Bottoms, and Ned Nederlander (Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, and Martin Short), three stars of silent films who have starred in a series of Westerns together.  They always win against overwhelming odds no matter where their picture is set.  This catches the attention of Carmen (Patrice Martinez), who doesn’t realize she is watching a movie.  Her village has been attacked by the evil El Guapo (Alfonso Arau), and she is trying to find someone to drive him and his henchmen away for good.

Her request comes at the perfect time since the actors have just been fired.  Mistaking her request for help with a request for a personal appearance, they quickly set off for Mexico.  Will they realize they are in way over the heads?

This is a cornball comedy.  Don’t be expecting anything too serious or at times even logical.  There are a couple of very random scenes in the film.  You’ve certainly got to be in the right mood to watch the film.

I had heard about some of the lines and scenes from my brother over the years, yet I was able to enjoy them again when I saw them in context.  This is absolutely a movie where knowing the punch line doesn’t diminish the humor at all.

And it is funny.  The film is 30 years old, but it still brings the laughs.  While I wasn’t laughing as hard as my brother was, I was certainly enjoying it.  And I have a feeling that repeated viewings might make it even funnier for me.

The actors do a great job.  Of course how could three comedy legends in the lead roles miss?  All three are brilliant and deliver many of the laughs.  The rest of the cast holds their own and get laughs when the occasion calls for it.

This isn’t a film that calls for much in the way of special effects, although there are a few moments that do.  They work, although they don’t work quite as well as you’d expect today.  Remember the age of the film and the genre, and you’ll be fine.  There are many stunts in the film, however.  They aren’t anything elaborate, but they work well.

So if you are in the mood for a funny movie with some pretty random moments, Three Amigos will certainly fit the bill.  Sit back, relax, and laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.