Friday, August 7, 2015

August 7th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

We've made it through the first week of August!  Must be time for Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week, I'm reading the third Amish Mystery by Laura Bradford, Shunned and Dangerous.




And here's how the book begins:

She tucked her hands into the front pockets of her cardigan sweater and smiled at the faint squeals and screams that punctuated the otherwise quiet countryside of Heavenly, Pennsylvania - sounds she knew would only intensify as night descended.

I've got to admit that page 56 is exposition, so it's hard to come up with a good quote from it, but here's what I came up with.

"For such big animals, they sure can be stealthy, can't they?"
"Stealthy?"
"One or the other was escaping from Harley's field all the time."

I'm about a third of the way into the book and enjoying it.  Should finish it up this weekend.

20 comments:

  1. I'm thinking cows? Such an enchanting cover. Is this an Amish story perhaps?

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/08/07/the-friday-56-72-choices/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm assuming those are stealthy cows. This one sounds cute. My 56 this week comes from No Mercy by Lori Armstrong - a gritty mystery set in South Dakota. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading Amish books, especially when I know the places where they take place. Where is this one set? :)

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings): http://never-anyone-else.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-friday-56-with-book-beginnings-fold.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is set in a small, fictitious town in Pennsylvania. And since I've never been to the state, I can't really tell where it is supposed to be.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a cute book, and a vocabulary builder for kids.

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read a non-Amish book by Laura Bradford and enjoyed it so I've been meaning to pick up a book in this series for awhile. The 56 gave me a visual of cows tiptoeing out of a fence! Not sure if it's cows or not but the visual is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I love that visual. It was cows, but that visual is great!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an interesting read. Here is my Friday 56
    http://totallyaddictedtoreading.blogspot.com/2015/08/friday-56-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've read an Amish mystery before. Looks fun!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good. A little heavier than many books I read, but worth it.

      Delete
  8. I absolutely adore this series and Laura Bradford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so well done with such great characters.

      Delete
  9. Seems like it might be time for me to try another Amish mystery. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.