Saturday, August 8, 2015

Ornament Review: 1966 - Tribute to Walt - Moments that Made Disney #12 - 2015 Disney Store Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Beautiful and simple tribute to Walt
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Farewell ornament
Proves great tribute to Disney
And his legacy




Fitting Tribute to Walt as Our Final Moment

A few years ago, I was able to visit the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco.  At the end of the museum, they had a collection of the tributes that came pouring in after his death in 1966.  I was surprised at just how moved I was by them.  I was fighting back tears.  Why am I sharing this story now?  Because I was reminded of it while looking at Tribute to Walt, the final ornament in the Moments That Made Disney ornament series coming from The Disney Store.  It is a simple ornament, but it might just be my favorite in the series.

The ornament features Mickey and Walt.  No, this isn’t the statue from Disneyland (although I’d love an ornament of that, too).  Instead, Mickey is standing holding a picture frame.  While Mickey is in color, the picture of Walt inside the frame is in black and white.  He’s younger and smiling out of the picture frame at us.  On the table in front of Walt in that picture are some drawings on Mickey and Minnie.

I actually have a very similar Disney pin that I just love.  It’s hard to explain the connection I see.  I guess I see this as Mickey honoring Walt, the man who created him.  To have this as the final ornament in the series is especially touching.  While Walt has lived on only in memories and the company he founded, Mickey has taken on a life on his own.  Mickey is much more recognized today than Walt is, and this reminder of the man behind the mouse who started it all is absolutely wonderful.

The ornament is simple, but it looks wonderful.  The contrast between the black and white picture and the full color Mickey works well.  It really does stand out.  The gold frame is mostly plain with just some decorations in the corners.

With Mickey holding the picture, I thought it might be heavy to one side.  That’s not the case, however, and the ornament does stand upright on the round stand Mickey is standing on.  Likewise, when you go to hang the ornament from the red ribbon attached through the loop on the top of the picture frame, you’ll find it hangs straight.

I wasn’t the only one who liked this ornament.  It sold out faster than most of the other ornaments in this limited edition series, proving that it speaks to even the non-obsessive collector.  If you are interested in this ornament, I suggest finding it on the secondary market soon.  I don’t see prices coming down quickly if at all.

Tribute to Walt is an elegant way to close out what has been a wonderful ornament series.  I’m glad I have them all, but especially this last one.

And do check out the rest of the Moments That Made Disney.

Original Price: $19.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.