Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Ornament Review: Kokomo - 2016 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Cute ornament with fun song clip
Cons: That blue chair is a head scratcher
The Bottom Line:
Tropical snowman
Song clip just adds to the fun
Of warm Christmas piece




A Snowman After My Own Heart

I’m a warm weather person.  There’s a reason I live in Southern California, and you won’t find me complaining about the heat in the summer either.  That’s just one of the reasons I love Kokomo, one of Hallmark’s 2016 releases.

The ornament features a snowman I can completely identify with.  He’s laying out on a lounge chair somewhere tropical.  He’s wearing sunglasses and a red visor and holding a drink in one hand.  His chair is next to a palm tree that is providing a little shade.  Of course, we all know what happens to a snowman when he gets too warm.  And yes, if you look underneath the snowman, you can see that parts of him are beginning to melt onto the chair.  Yet based on the smile on his face, I don’t think he’s complaining

Now there is one weird thing about this ornament – the lounge chair.  It appears to have wood grain in it.  Oh, it’s made of plastic like the rest of the ornament, but they carved some wood grain into it.  Yet the chair is painted blue.  Maybe it’s just my experience, but any chairs I’ve seen made from wood are always either stained a deeper shade of brown or left with their natural wood color.  Plastic chairs might be painted a different color, but even then most of the ones I’ve seen are white.

But that’s a minor issue.  Overall, I like it.

And there’s an added bonus.  If the title of the ornament made you think of the Beach Boys’ song, that’s intentional.  This is one of Hallmark’s magic ornaments, and comes with your first set of two button batteries.  Just press the button hiding under one of the chair’s arm, and you’ll hear a 30 second clip of “Kokomo.”  Combine that with the great looking ornament, and you are sure to have a smile on your face.

Just like a chair rests on any flat surface, this ornament sits on any flat surface.  Given the tropical vibe, you could set this out and enjoy it during the summer, for example, if you wanted to.

I hung mine on my tree this year.  The loop is located in the top of the palm tree.  The ornament does tip forward a bit, but it isn’t enough to be an issue.

We don’t normally think of the tropics when we think of Christmas, but that theme works perfectly here.  If you want to add some warmth to your tree, be sure to check out Kokomo.

Original Price: $17.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.