Thursday, January 19, 2017

Ornament Review: O Holy Night - 2016 Hallmark Ornament



Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Nice looking church, good sound clip
Cons: Windows don’t light up (again)
The Bottom Line:
Church celebrating
A holy Christmas night with
Instrumental song




Get Ready for a Holy Christmas Eve

With all the Hallmark ornaments I collect, it is rare for me to buy their religious ornaments.  The one exception are the churches they release each year which complement their old Candlelight Services series.  O Holy Night was 2016’s release, and it was another good church.

This church is formed from wood, or at least it’s sculpted to look like it.  It’s got large wooden beams making the walls.  There are stone corners and foundation.  Between the painted red wood and the stone, this is a very nice looking church.  It is very squarish rectangle and has a steeple rising out of the front of the church.  Naturally, there is snow on the ground and the roof.  This is Christmas after all.

Now, the old ornaments in the official series had windows that would light up when you stuck a Christmas tree light in the back of the church.  I loved that.  I wish these newer ornaments did that.  I will always complain about that even though that obviously isn’t what they are doing any more.  However, we do still get a fun extra – sound.  Put the two button batteries in the base of the ornament and press the button to hear about a 20 second clip of “O Holy Night.”  This year that sound clip is instrumental, just a piano playing part of the first verse of the carol.  You can easily imagine it as the opening of a Christmas Eve service.

I usually set my collection of churches out each year, after all buildings have nice flat bases, and this one is no exception.  If you want to hang this ornament, however, you’ll find that it hangs straight.

I do wish they still made the churches with windows that could glow with the help of a light string.  They could still have the music clip since they did both one year.  But I do enjoy these churches as they are.

So I am glad to have O Holy Night in my collection.  It’s another nice church with a fun sound clip.

Looking for more churches?  Here are the Candlelight Services and unofficial churches.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.