Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Book Review: The Final Vow by Amanda Flower (Living History Museum #3)



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun characters in a strong mystery
Cons: None worth dwelling on
The Bottom Line:
Wedding planner falls
But it looks like she had help
Fun third mystery




Taking the Plunge – Literally

The previous book in the Living History Museum Mysteries set up this book perfectly, and I’ve been waiting a year to find out what would happen.  No, it wasn’t a cliffhanger, but we were promised plenty of conflict for TheFinal Vow, and I wasn’t disappointed at all.

If you are new to the series, it features Kelsey Cambridge, the director of Barton Farm, a living history museum in Ohio.  She lives on the farm with her son.  This book revolves around the wedding of her ex.  You see, her ex-husband’s fiancee, Krissie Pumpernickel, has decided that the church at Barton Farm is the perfect place to have her wedding, and she expects her every whim to be met, including Civil War reenactors, Abraham Lincoln, and lights up in the steeple of the church.  Kelsey has put her foot down on the lights, but only because it is a safety concern.

That doesn’t stop Vianna Pine, the wedding coordinator, however.  She sneaks into the steeple in the middle of the night to hang the lights.  Unfortunately, she plunges to her death.  Only neither Kelsey nor the police think that Vianna had an accident.  Instead, they think she had some help falling out of the steeple.  But everyone the police interview comes to Kelsey asking her to clear them.  If everyone is innocent, who could have done it?

I hadn’t realized just how much I’d fallen for these characters until I started reading the book and smiled every time one of the regulars appears on page.  They are a varied group, but that makes them all the more entertaining.  Then there are the characters like Krissie, who make Bridezillas look tame.  While I have no affection for her, I do love to hate her.  We meet some new characters along the way who are just as interesting and fun as the main cast.

And the plot is strong.  In fact, it shoots off in some unexpected directions, and I couldn’t wait see what Kelsey would uncover next.  I did have a couple small niggles with the ending, but they were very small.  The climax had my heart pounding, and I had to keep reading to make sure everyone was safe.

Those who have been reading the series from the start will especially enjoy some character growth we get here.  You’ll still enjoy it if you jump in here, but those who have watched relationships grow through three books will find it more meaningful.

This really is a fun addition to a fun series.  I promise, if you pick up The Final Vow today you’ll be happy you did.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

3 comments:

  1. Happy to see this, Mark! I loved Flowers' Appleseed Creek series and planned to try this series next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a series that makes me smile when the characters appear on the page. It's like visiting with old friends! I have this series on my TBR and I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait! I really enjoy these characters too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.