Sunday, January 12, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Ursula - Windows of Evil - 2018 Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun stained glass take on Ursula
Cons: Price on this one can be high
The Bottom Line:
Stained glass Ursula
Captures this villainess well
With some fun touches

Evil Under the Sea

I started spending time on Instagram last year, and it proved to be deadly to my pocketbook.  See, I found an account that shared information on new Disney pin releases.  Since I haven’t been to Disneyland for three years (sob!), I had gotten out of the know on what was new, especially when it came to limited edition ornaments.  (Okay, so I was never super in the know, but it’s been worse.)  I immediately saw several limited edition pin series I had to have.  One of which included back collecting the companion series from 2018.  All of this background brings us to today, where I am looking at Ursula, one of the Windows of Evil series of pins released in 2018.

This series of pins features different Disney villains in faux stained-glass windows.  I say faux because there is a back to the pin, so you will never get light to shine through the glass.  However, it does a good job of faking it.  There are multiple silver ridges going through the pin to help create the illusion of stained-glass window.  The pin features Ursula with an evil grin on her face.  Behind her, you can see a couple of her tentacles and a couple bits of blue ocean.  The bottom of the window features a silhouette of Ariel as she is in the middle of transforming.

The pin is shaped like a rectangle for the bottom two thirds while the top one third goes to a point on top, so it is shaped like a traditional stained glass window.

One thing that I love about these pins is how the window frame changes.  Most of the frame is wavy lines that look a bit like waves in the ocean.  Up at the top of the window is a shell that Ursula used to capture Ariel’s voice.  The two bottom corners have Flotsam and Jetsam, Ursula’s two eel sidekicks.

It’s those touches that make the pins in this series so much fun.  I’ll admit that a few don’t work quite as well as they should, but this isn’t one of them.  It’s easy to tell you are looking at Ursula.  You do have to look a bit closely to catch some of the details, but that’s what makes it fun.

This was one of the more expensive pins to back collect since Ursula is a popular villain.  But she was worth it.  This is a fun pin that I’m glad I added to my collection.

Here's a picture of the pin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.