Sunday, February 5, 2023

February 5th's Sunday/Monday Post

 Hi all.  It's time for a Sunday/Monday post, where I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Did you miss me while I was gone?  Okay, so you might not have realized I was gone, and I get it.  After all my blog was running like normal, I just didn't do any of the weekly posts I typically do.  But yes, I was on vacation.

Specifically, I took a 10 day Caribbean cruise.  It was fabulous.  It was round trip from Ft. Lauderdale, and we made five stops, six if you could the "private" island (really, a secluded beach) where we stopped along the way.  I had something going on in every port, which made it great.  Plus I got lots of reading in.  I'll be filling the next couple of weeks with the books I read on my trip, and I actually started posting reviews from my trip this last week.

One of the highlights was getting to meet Lyndon Perry.  We'd connected on various social media platforms in  the last year, and I knew he lived in Puerto Rico.  That was the one day I didn't have anything planned.  I had reached out thinking it would be fun to meet up for lunch or something, but he and his wife played tour guide.  We visited the rain forest on the island, walked on the beach, and had lunch together before they dropped me back off.  Definitely a highlight.

Other than that, I did some snorkeling and kayaking.  And did I mention all the reading?

Coming back was brutal.  I'm not talking about the weather, although that was a bit of a shock to the system.  It has been in the lower 80's on the cruise, but now it was in the 50's in Southern California.  But work was crazy my first couple of days back.  Fortunately, it slowed down a bit later in the week, and we successfully closed out the month.

In fact, I got off on time Friday night, which was great since I went to a concert last night.  Jason Gray is one of my favorite artists, so when I found out he was doing a concert an hour from me, I planned to go.  He was in concert with Jonathan Traylor, who I hadn't heard of before, but I plan to get some of his music.  It was a great evening.

And, today, I was back out paddling on the lake.  It's warmed up, and was sunny.  It's about 70 out here right now.  I know, I know, everyone else is freezing.  Sorry.  If it makes you feel any better, it's supposed to drop in temperature back to the 50's tomorrow.  Not helping, am I?  Anyway, the hills are still green from all the rain last month, so it looked great out there.



Two Weeks Ago on the Blog:

Sunday - Disney Pin Review: Prince Charming Regal Carousel
Monday - Movie Review: Signed, Sealed, Delivered - From Paris with Love
Tuesday - Book Review: Irish Coffee Murder by Leslie Meier, Lee Hollis, and Barbara Ross
Wednesday - Ornament Review: Top Hat Snowman
Thursday - Book Review: Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie
Friday - Movie Review: John Wick - Chapter 2
Saturday - TV Show Review: United States of Al - Season 2

This Last Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Music Review: One Name by Selah
Monday - Movie Review: The Pacifier
Tuesday - Book Review: Dead-Bang Fall by J. R. Sanders
Wednesday - January 2023 Reading Summary
Thursday - Book Review: Wined and Died in New Orleans by Ellen Byron
Friday - Friday Post featuring Of Manners and Murder
Friday - Book Review: Killers of a Certain Age by Deanna Raybourn
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Book Review: Of Manners and Murder by Anastasia Hastings
Tuesday - Movie Review: The Curious Caterer - Grilling Season
Wednesday - Book Review: Six Sweets Under by Sarah Fox
Thursday - Ornament Review: To the Victory!
Friday - Book Review: What the Cluck?  It's Murder! by Jacqueline Vick
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

Of course, I have books to talk to you about.  No, I haven't bought any books, but I've gotten several free books and a pre-order.

I came away with two books from Puerto Rico.  Lyndon gave me one of his books, Secrets and Scents.  Sounds like a fun mystery, so I'm looking forward to getting to it...soon.  (I promise, it will be soon.)  He also had a copy of The Return of Tarzan he'd just finished, and he asked if I wanted it.  I know, not a mystery, but I keep meeting to read at least the first couple Tarzan books, so I took it.

I also won a couple of books from blogs.  From My Reader's Block, I won a book for participating in her reading challenges last year.  I picked The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart.  I keep thinking I need to read some of her books, so this is a great chance to do that.

Then, when Alexis Morgan was guest blogging, I won a giveaway of her newest mystery, Death by Arts and Crafts.  I've had the first book for a while, so maybe this will get me to start the series.

Barnes and Nobel shipped me my pre-order of Cheddar Late Than Dead by Linda Reilly.  I've been looking forward to this one since I enjoyed the first two.  Actually, they shipped it early, and it almost arrived before I left on my cruise.  Instead, it was waiting for me when I got back.

As if these five books weren't enough, my hold on my audio book at the library came in.  Okay, so I was getting to the front of the line, so I postponed it until I got back from my trip, but I'm listening to Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson right now.

What I'm Reading:

I just spoiled part of that, right?  Actually, Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians is a short audio book, just under 5 hours.  Between listening while driving to and from the concert Friday night and the lake on Saturday, I'm already mostly done with it.  Should finish it up this weekend.

On the reading front, I'm reading Life on the Mississippi by Rinker Buck.  I know, a middle grade fantasy and a non-fiction book.  Who am I?  I'm mostly  enjoying this tale of a modern day expedition down the Mississippi River.  It's longer than I'm used to, so it is taking me longer to read, which is why I figured now was the perfect time to read it.  I'm further ahead than normal in my reading schedule, so I have the time.

I think that catches you up on everything.  Have a fantastic week!

22 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great trip and got to meet Lyn Perry. At first glance The Circular Staircase reminded me of a Nancy Drew book, LOL. I hope you enjoy your newest additions. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a great trip! My husband and I cruised two weeks ago. They are so much fun. It looks like you have lots of good reading coming up. I have always meant to get to the Tarzan books, too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your vacation sounds amazing!! I'm so glad you got away and found some warmth and sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, a cruise to the Caribbean sounds fantastic. This is the perfect time of year for it, too. And how wonderful that you got to meet up with an author while you were there.

    You have some great books, too. It's special when you have a book (or two) from an author you have met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We'd love a Caribbean cruise but still scared of Covid. Glad you had a great time with no complications, but all fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Death by Arts and Crafts needs to go on my list! And Life on the Mississippi looks good too.

    Warm weather and sunshine seem like a dream to me at this point in winter in Michigan. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a GREAT cruise! I've never been on one but I like the idea of paying one big chunk of money and then not having to worry about money for a week and everything being right there and taken care of for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A 10-day vacation in the sun with reading, exploring, and meeting a new friend sounds absolutely fabulous! And I'm with you, I feel a bit bad that we are "suffering" with the 50s while so many have much worse (my daughter is in Ithaca, NY where it was -2 F yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cruise sounds wonderful! I love any kind of vacation where I get a lot of reading done. Don't have a ton of those these days. It's also great when you get a chance to meet internet friends in person! Hope you have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love to cruise and have been on several Caribbean ones - it's a beautiful part of the world. We're still a bit hesitant to cruise again due to covid - but it's getting closer...... Vacations are always such a nice break from our regular lives and I'm so glad you got lots of reading done.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-36

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol. Our temps are CLIMBING UP into the 50s this week. :D I like cold weather in the winter and I'm hoping we get some snow before spring arrives. I read Cheddar Late Than Dead, by Linda Reilly. My pre-order arrived a few weeks early too and I was so excited. I really enjoyed it! I am looking forward to watching Grilling Season this week and I'll review it soon too. Sounds like you had an awesome vacation...but did you get any reading done??? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love going on a cruise! I'm more at peace at/on the water. Glad you got to meet Lyndon Perry. I think I'd like kayaking more than paddleboarding but I'd still like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun trip! And neat that you got to meet another blogger. Love those green hills in the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a vacation of all vacations. Relaxing and exciting. I can't just lay around when I am in warm climates, I have to be doing something like touring or exploring. Glad you had a nice mixture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cruise sounds wonderful! I've been sort of casually looking at cruises for us to take at some undefined point in the future. My daughter heard a couple at our church talking about their cruise and now she wants to go on one!

    Have a great week! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great trip! What can be better than sightseeing and reading? Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great cruise! Enjoy your return to normal. Here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bastille vs The Evil Librarians looks amazing. I hope you enjoy your books!


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pic. So nice to see the green! Will be a couple of months before we see it. Have a great week!
    Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  20. so cool you were able to meet this author! And a precious gift from him too!
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/02/05/sunday-post-77-02-05-2023/

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was great to meet you as well and take you around! Got lunch in and a few extra fun things. Hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds like a nice trip for you and special since you got to meet an online friend. Congratulations on the wins. I have The Circular Staircase on my TBR shelf. I like the cover of the Evil Librarians. Have a good week and Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.