Sunday, August 23, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Taran - Windows of Magic - 2019 Release

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Good depiction of two rare characters
Cons: Nothing to recommend except to movie’s fans
The Bottom Line:
Hero and sidekick
Captured in stained-glass themed pin
Movie’s fans will love

Quest to Stop the Cauldron

How little do I remember about The Black Cauldron?  While I remembered the name of the villain, I had to look up the name of the hero as I was getting ready to write my review of the Windows of Magic pin themed around the movie.  Okay, so maybe I should have rewatched the film to get more context, but that didn’t happen.

As with the other pins in this series, we get a hero to go along with the villain that was part of the companion Windows of Evil series.  This time, we get Taran, the young boy who sets out on a quest to destroy The Black Cauldron.  He’s got a sword in front of him and behind him are swirls of blue and white.

But that’s not all.  The bottom third of the window includes the sidekick character Gurgi.  He’s a creature of some kind, this is a fantasy story after all.  His part of the window has two apples, one on each side, or as he likes to call them, “munchings and crunchings.”

The border of this window is fairly plain.  There are some bits of design, but nothing I recognize as related to the film.  The exception is the very top, which has a cauldron on it.

As with the Windows of Evil pin, this one is mainly for the film’s fans.  I know I haven’t said nice things about the movie, but there are a few of them out there, and I’m sure they are delighted to get something for their movie.  I just love stained-glass, and I had fun tracking down all of the pins in both series.  If it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t have bothered getting this pin.

For the casual collector, Taran’s Windows of Magic is one you can skip.  Only if you are a fan of the movie will you be super delighted to own it.

If you'd like to see pictures, I hope you'll stop by my Instagram account.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.