Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Ornament Review: NES Console - 2020 Hallmark Release


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Captures the NES Console perfectly – with sound!
Cons: Tips to the right front
The Bottom Line:
Classic game system
Complete with famous game sounds
A must for my tree




Home Video Game Nostalgia

As much as I love video games, I’ve never been one to collect every console on the market.  For one thing, I didn’t have the money to do that as a kid.  I only had two growing up, and one of those was the NES Console, so I was immediately drawn to this ornament from Hallmark this year.  I’m so glad I got it.

Just in case you aren’t completely sure which console we are talking about, this is the original Nintendo home video game system.  Aka the gray box.  And that’s just what this ornament looks like.  Trust me, if you had this video game system, just looking at the ornament will make you smile.  It looks just like you remember it looking.  It’s even got the output holes on the sides and back.  The system had two controllers, and they are resting on the top of the ornament with their cords connected to the plugs in the front.

I almost missed this cool feature.  The flap that covers where the cartridge goes flips open.  When you do that, you’ll see that they are currently playing Super Mario Bros.

Of course, I already knew that.  You see, this is one of Hallmark’s magic ornaments.  It needs two button batters to operate, and your first set comes with the ornament.  Once they are in place, all you need to do is press the power button in the front of the console.  (And how perfect is that?)  When you do, the red power light comes on, and you get to hear sounds from Super Mario Bros.  I’m not sure which level they are supposed to be playing; it really sounds like a collection of sounds from the game instead of recreating any specific level.  Don’t worry, if you played the game, you will recognize each one.  All told, the sounds last for just under 30 seconds.

It was the sound that put me over the top.  I was already tempted to get this ornament, but hearing the sound I knew I had to get it.  I loved that game and I spent many happy hours playing it and other games on my NES.

Being based on a video game system, you won’t be surprised to learn that it has a nice, flat base.  You can set it out and enjoy it anywhere at any time of the year.

If you decide to hang the ornament, you’ll find the ornament’s only flaw.  It tips slightly to the right front.  You’ll be able to disguise it with tree branches, but I’m surprised they couldn’t get it to hang perfectly straight.

But that’s a minor flaw.  Based on how popular the ornament has been at my local shop, I’m not the only one captivated by the perfect nostalgia the NES Console creates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.