Monday, August 24, 2020

TV Show Review: The Flash - Season 6

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Great characters and action, handling of Crisis
Cons: Darker than the early seasons, angst
The Bottom Line:
Two villains; Crisis 
All crammed in shortened season
You’ll watch in a…flash




“Will There Be Waffles?”  “There Had Better Be Waffles.”

The sixth season of The Flash looked a little different than the seasons that came before, and I’m not just talking about the shortened season due to the pandemic.  Instead, the show planned carefully around The Crisis on Infinite Earths mid-season event, and gave us two major villains.

As the season starts off, Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) and the rest of Team Flash face a vicious new foe in the form of Dr. Ramsey Rosso (Sendhil Ramamurthy).  Dr. Rosso has been hard at working trying to treat a deadly blood illness, but the side effect has been to turn him into Bloodwork, and his evil is taking over the entire city.

While fighting the latest foe, Barry has to deal with the knowledge that Crisis is coming, and he is fated to die during it, so he spends time preparing the rest of his team to carry on in his absence.  But what will happen when Crisis actually arrives?

The Flash was only second to Arrow in the build up to the main event of the season.  That’s hardly surprising since Crisis was alluded to during the pilot episode of this series, and it has been teased and discussed the entire series to date.  While the episodes that lead up to it might sound depressing, many of the storylines with Barry talking to his friends were surprisingly touching.  They provided some great moments for character growth for everyone.  Sometimes, they also provided some very funny storylines.

The back half of the season provided a new villain for Team Flash to face while also dealing with the fallout of Crisis.  I’m not going to say more about that so I don’t spoil anything.  I’ll just say that I enjoyed it.

And, for the most part, I did enjoy this season.  It’s definitely not the light, fun show that we originally got in the first season, and at times, the angst was getting to be a bit too much for me.  I hope that we get to enjoy more light moments in the seasons ahead.

Another issue was this season’s Dr. Harrison Wells.  While Tom Cavanagh continues to be great in the part, I just never warmed up to the newest version of the character.

Tom Cavanagh isn’t the only one who is fantastic in their roles.  The entire cast has always been great, and they leap into the challenges their characters fact this season with gusto.

As I hinted earlier, this season ended early, at only 19 episodes, when production was shut down due to the pandemic.  Yes, that left the second storyline of the season far from resolved.  However, the producers plan to finish this story off at the beginning of season 7.  I can’t wait to see how they will resolve things.

Overall, I’m still enjoying The Flash.  The characters draw me in as I wait to see what dangers they are facing each week.  If you are a fan of the show, you’ll enjoy season six.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.