Monday, May 3, 2021

Ornament Review: Perfection - 2020 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great representation of this game
Cons: Nothing to mess with Perfection
The Bottom Line:
A time racing game
Captured for your Christmas tree
One word?  Perfection!



For Fans of the Game, This Ornament is Perfection

In addition to the official Family Game Night ornaments, Hallmark has been releasing unofficial companion pieces most years.  They additional ornaments often have a bit more to them that makes them extra special for fans of those games.  That’s the case again with Perfection.

If you aren’t familiar with this particular game, it featured 25 yellow plastic pieces you were trying to put into a grid.  Sounds like something easy for really young kids, right?  That’s because I have yet to mention that you have a one-minute timer, and when your time is up, the board pops up, scattering the pieces you’ve already put in (and making you jump).  At least you are supposed to have a minute.  The one I had growing up goes off at the 55 second mark just to make things extra challenging.

This ornament is a perfect replica of the game, or at least the game I had in the 80’s.  That means, there is a red box with a light blue game field.  As I already mentioned, the piece are yellow, and of the twenty-five pieces, seventeen of them are in place.

And here’s what makes the ornament so much fun.  The game board goes down when you press on it, and it will lock into place.  When you move the start/stop switch up at the top, the board will pop back out.  Don’t worry, the pieces stay in place, although three of them are designed to move a bit to simulate the pieces jumping out.

Like the original game, this one has a bit of a ridge to it, meaning it does rock a bit of you try to stand it up.  On the other hand, it will lay down nicely.  And, when you go to hang it on your tree, you’ll find that it hangs perfectly straight.

As a kid, I did practice and get very good at this game.  But I’ve lost the skill, as I learned recently.  Still, this was a game I had fun with as a kid.  You could find new ways to challenge yourself with it, and you were always only competing against yourself.  I remember it fondly, so I am so happy with how well the ornament has turned out.  I especially love the motion it has.  It’s those kind of added touches that are outstanding.

This doesn’t seem to be a common game in stores right now (or I just don’t think to look for it), so the audience for this ornament might be limited.  But those who remember it with fondness will find this ornament is Perfection.

Enjoy games?  Check out more of the Family Games Night ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.