Sunday, August 27, 2023

August 27th's Sunday/Monday Post

It's the weekend, so that must mean it is time for another Sunday/Monday Post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I took last week off from this post, and yes, that was completely planned.  My parents came down to visit, and I wanted to be able to spend time with them.  After all, that is why they came down, right?  And we had a great visit.  Lots of games played, which was fun.

Of course, their visit just happened to coincide with Tropical Storm Hilary hitting Southern California.  We didn't have any plans to do anything big on Sunday.  We even stayed home and joined church online.  It rained steadily all day here, but it didn't get as heavy as they predicted it would be.  Heck, it didn't even get as windy as they say it would.  We never lost power.  I have seen some road shoulders and sidewalks that crumbled due to the rain, but that's about it.  Nothing too major, which is a great thing.

Of course, there was the earthquake Sunday as well.  We definitely felt it, although there wasn't any danger in my area.  A pretty big one, too.

The temps have been cool enough, I went for my runs at lunch time this week.  I got borderline sunburned by doing that, however.  Got to be more careful if I have a chance to do that again in the next month or so.  Of course, it's going to be too hot to do that, at least this coming week.

Blog Spam Comment of the Week:

Yes, I've got a couple of these again.  Here's one you know is spam just from the user name, which is nothing but a list of companies with "Cash Back Offer" included every so often.  Yeah, that's really trust worthy.  Then we get this great comment (again, just copied and pasted):

HI,NIce post greate information thank you so much,Really Very Useful Information,best blog post really great…

Got to love all those typos.  Yes, the ellipses was part of their comment.  And after the comment were about two dozen links to other sites.  Yeah, like I'm going to click on any of those.  Thanks but no thanks.

This Past Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Disney Pin Review: Elliott the Dragon
Monday - Book Review: Halloween Cupcake Murder by Carlene O'Connor, Liz Ireland, and Carol J. Perry
Tuesday - Movie Review: Mystery Woman - Oh, Baby
Wednesday - Book Review: A Peculiar Combination by Ashley Weaver
Thursday - Ornament Review: Halloween Party
Friday - Novella Review: Halloween Party Murder by Leslie Meier
Friday - Novella Review: Death of a Halloween Party Monster by Lee Hollis
Friday - Novella Review: Scared Off by Barbara Ross
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Book Review: Murder in the Wine Country by Janet Finsilver
Tuesday - Movie Review: Babylon 5 - The Road Home
Wednesday - Book Review: Fair Game by Annette Dashofy
Thursday - August 2023 Reading Summary
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

It's been two weeks.  Of course I've got plenty of books to tell you about.

We can start out with a graphic novel, something unusual for me.  But Bruce Wayne - Not Super was written by Stuart Gibbs, so it's not that big a surprise that I got it.  Especially since a friend was his editor for it, and she gave me a copy.

Up next is an ARC I got from the author.  Cheap Thrills is the fourth in Wendall Thomas's Cyn Redondo Mysteries.  It looks like this time we are going to India.  These are always lots of fun, so I can't wait.  The book comes out the end of October, so I will be reading it then.

As an aside, can we talk about how crowded October is this year?  Anyone else noticing that or is it just me?

Also from the author, I got Final Cut.  Marjorie McCown was gracious enough to wait until I had an opening to read the book and sent it to me.  So look for me to read this one soonish.  It's a murder mystery on the set of a major Hollywood blockbuster, so it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy.

Marilyn Meredith put the prequel to her Tempe Crabtree Mysteries on sale to celebrate her birthday this last week.  Author give the best presents, right?  It looks like the sale on Deadly Trail is over now, however.

Finally, I got my pre-order of Nine Lives and Alibis this week.  This is the seventh in Cate Conte's Cat Cafe mysteries, and it's a Halloween themed book.  I'm looking forward to reading it.

What I'm Currently Reading:

As I'm typing this, I'm about 70 pages from the end of Pink Lemonade Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke.  I'm planning to finish it up later today.  It's going about how you'd expect for a recent book in this series.  Maybe a little worse than the previous one.  I'll just leave it at that for the time being.

Next up with be Bring the Night, the third Nate Ross Mystery from J. R. Sanders.  I'll be going from ultra cozy to a PI novel set in Hollywood in 1939.  I've enjoyed the first two, so I'm looking forward to seeing what Nate gets up to in this book.

Have a great week!

29 comments:

  1. I hope you had a wonderful visit with your parents; how great that they could come down even though we had "hurricane weather." I think you had it worse in LA than we did in Santa Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we had a great time. Plays lots of games.

      Delete
  2. Glad the storm wasn't as bad as predicted and you got to spend time with your parents. I just picked up number 18 in the Hannah Swensen series from the library today and I'll be reading it sometime soon, but not in the next week. I really want to catch up on this series, even though I've read less than stellar reviews of the later books. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy you gad a nice time with your parents and the weather wasn’t as bad as predicted. You have a great week of reading planned. Hope you can escape right into them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in central continental Europe I have like 0 experience with earthquakes, so I find the idea of them slightly terrifying! But we do have epic storms and there were definitely some this week as well, where the heavens opened and a proverbial flood came down. Love the ellipses on the comments, it somehow feels almost threatening xD I hope you have a lovely week :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a busy review week! I used to like Joanna Fluke, back when I read more cozies. Her covers are always eyecatching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have only read one of Joanne Fluke's books, and that was years ago. It's nice that you had a good time with your parents. Mine are all gone, so embrace that time you have with them, Mark. Have a beautiful week! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had spam comments such as "I really hit the nail on the top with subject" which makes me laugh. Busy week for you. A storm AND earthquake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were able to spend time with your parents. They won't forget that visit---a hurricane AND an earthquake! Nothing can top that.

    I'm intrigued a bit with graphic novels. The Bruce Wayne graphic novel sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad the storm wasn't that bad for you!

    My Sunday post: https://laurieisreading.com/2023/08/27/the-sunday-post-august-27-2023/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone told me last week that the typos in spam serve a purpose: they weed out the people who were never going to fall for the scam, anyway. I'm not sure if that entirely makes sense, but maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad to hear that Hurricane Hilary didn't knock you down and out. There has been little news about it after the initial day with videos of flooding in the National Parks and Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you had a chance to spend time with your parents. I'm very glad to hear you did okay during the storms. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you had a good time with your parents and the weather wasn't as bad as predicted and you had no danger from the earthquake. Sounds eventful though. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad you had a nice visit, and that the storm wasn't too bad. Those spam comments... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad you had a great visit with your parents. I've been plane games since I was a kid, first with my family, then friends, then my kids, and now with my adult kids and their family. Glad you had no damage from the storm or earthquake. I used to get spam comments on my blog every day but finally fixed it where I have to approve/deny all new commenters. Once I approve them all their comments will automatically post. If I deny them they can't try to comment agian. Thankfully I haven't had anyone not approved try to comment for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to hear you enjoyed the visit with your parents. We only got a bit of rain from the hurricane, but I heard there was a lot at my dad's house in So Cal. Glad it didn't knock the power out or anything.

    I borrowed the first of Cate Conte's Cat Cafe mysteries and I hope I'll be able to listen to it before my library lends expires. Too many books, lol! I'm happy to hear you're a fan of the series. Have a great week, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Fluke books always made me hungry when I was shelving them while working at a bookstore, lol. Glad you didn't have any issues with the craziness going on with weather, earthquakes this past week. Hope you have a good week!
    Lisa Loves Literature

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had a great visit with your parents! Hope your coming week is a good one! https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2023/08/28/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-2/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perhaps your parents were your good luck charms!
    I think it has to be hard for authors to keep a series fresh especially when like Fluke there are 20+ books

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have noticed that October seems to be crowded with new books this year. I think I have a dozen on my review stack and could have had at least that many more. I hope I picked the ones that are right for me. I liked Final Cut and Nine Lives and Alibis and hope you do too. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wonder if anyone actually clicks on the dozen links below the spam comments? Glad the storm and the earthquake didn't do too much damage to your area though it does sound like quite the mess. I have kind of given up on the Fluke series. I liked a couple of books I read but the more I read the more they started to feel a bit flat for me. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good the bad weather didn't hit too hard in your area. Yes heard about your earthquake here in NZ. I guess because we get so many we always hear about other ones around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you had a great visit with your parents. So glad you didn't get hammered with weather.

    Nice book haul. I think I own Deadly Trail by Marilyn Meredith, but I haven't read the earlier books yet. I came into the series at Smell of Death. I really need to read the earlier ones.

    Hope you have a fabulous week.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a lovely visit with your parents and I am glad that the weather wasn't too bad for you. I think earthquakes would make me nervous.
    I like all of your Halloween titles. This reminds me to start lining mine up for Fraterfest Readathon.
    Happy Reading for you this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad the storm wasn't too bad and you had a nice visit. I haven't been keeping up with Fluke's books, but that cake looks tasty!

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmm, had not noticed that many new books were coming out this October. It's a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad you had fun with your parents and the storm wasn't too bad. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.