Friday, April 19, 2024

April 19th's Friday Post

Time for this week's Friday Post.  I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

I'll be pulling quotes for the first three from Torn Asunder, the newest Maine Clambake Mystery from Barbara Ross.


This has long been a favorite series of mine.  Here's how it begins:

I walked my friends Zoey Butterfield and Jamie Dawes through the first-floor function rooms of Windsholme, the mansion built by my mother's ancestors on Morrow Island. My stomach fluttered with equal parts excitement and anxiety. I cared so much what they thought.

Meanwhile, the plot has really kicked in on page 56, where we find this:

"We shouldn't have moved him," Pete said.
"We thought it was an allergic reaction." Tom was unapologetic. "Besides," he looked at the dark windows, the wind-driven rain thrumming against them, "the medical examiner will be glad we got him out of the storm."

I'm about half way through it, and I'm completely hooked.  It's a much tighter turn around than I like, but I am hoping to have the review ready to go on Wednesday.  Will I make it?  You'll have to come back to find out.

Meanwhile, let's take a gander at this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question is:

Do you think contemporary book covers lack originality?

Like most things in life, it depends.  I mean, look at the cover I shared.  Those are lobsters in place of the bride and groom on the top of the cake.  That's pretty original.

Certain genres and subgenres certainly have styles.  I get it, that's to help you know what it is you are looking at when you are browsing in the bookstore.  And there are definitely some subgenres that are very repetitive.  But others can be pretty creative within their subgenre.

9 comments:

  1. The plot does really sound like it has kicked in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I do love a good cozy mystery.

    Stop by and see my Friday fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps some of the evidence will be saved since they got the body out of the rain--even if moving the body isn't the most advisable . . . I am glad you are enjoying Torn Asunder so far! It does sound good!

    I know I am often drawn to certain books more so because of the type of covers they have--there is a familiarity to them because they fit a certain genre. I think you make a good point that sometimes the originality might show itself in small ways (the lobsters on the cake) but it's definitely there.

    Have a great weekend, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I'm reading Loyally, Luke by Pepper Basham. It’s so good.
    "Luke's phone buzzed to life on the table beside him as he finished up a few final emails to Mrs. Kershaw and Mr. Holton. Unknown number? He shrugged off the curiosity and went back to the email, giving a detailed account of all the finalized pieces of the kitchen remodel."
    I hope you have a great weekend! Happy reading!!! 🙂❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'd say that lobsters on a wedding cake are very creative. But I have noticed a sort of "type" of cover for cozy mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that cover! Those quotes certainly catch my attention. I hope you get it read in time.

    I agree that certain genres go for certain cover designs.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/04/19/book-blogger-hop-do-you-think-contemporary-book-covers-lack-originality/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read a book or two in this series and have really meant to read more. This one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like that book wastes no time diving into the plot! I have this series on my TBR list. The two lobsters on top of the cake remind me of Friends when Pheobe says, Rachel is Ross's lobster. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.