Friday, April 26, 2024

April 26th's Friday Post

 Welcome to Friday.  Time for another Friday Post, where I will link up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

My teasers for the first three will be coming from The Bootlegger's Daughter by Nadine Nettmann.


This is a stand alone novel from an author I've read previously.  It is set in 1927 Los Angeles.  It was also written in present tense, which always takes me a couple of chapters to adjust to, but it was worth it.

Here's how the book begins:

This is the first time we’ve had intruders, though I’ve been waiting for them for years.

Yep, that definitely caught my attention.  Meanwhile, at 56% into the ARC, we find this:

“Stay here. I’ll take care of it. You don’t have to know.”
My mother shakes her head and opens the door of the truck. “As long as this isn’t dangerous.”
“This part? Not yet.”

The book will be out on May 1st (how did that get to be next week already?), and I'll be back with a review then.  For now, know that I enjoyed it.

Okay, let's move on to this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question is:

You are in a dilemma: stream your favorite TV show or movie, or read your favorite book. Which one do you pick?

I know what answer I should give.  Read my book, of course.  But the honest answer is, it would depend on my mood.  I enjoy TV and movies as much as reading.  Sometimes, I prefer to read.  Sometimes, I prefer to watch something.

That's it for me.  Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh I'm not good with present tense, it somehow messes with my perception of the story, if that makes any sense? Perhaps because it feels more high-stakes, because it is happening *right now*? And my BBH answer is also all about mood. Sometimes I just want to read, sometimes I want to zone out xD Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often don't notice what tense a book is written in unless it trips me up or it seems awkward. Glad you were able to adjust to this present tense in short order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really good. I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this cover and the book looks interesting, but I'm generally not a fan of present tense. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that time period as a setting for a book. I always feel completely drawn into a story that is written in present tense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That beginning has me so intrigued! I wonder why she's been waiting for intruders. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this looks good and I love that beginning! I'm the same when it comes to books vs tv. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for tv!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover of this book is amazing! I love it so much. 😍

    Happy Saturday!
    I'm just starting A Cross-Country Wedding by Courtney Walsh. So far, so good!
    "Bea doesn't like me."
    I hope you are having a great weekend! Happy reading!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.