Sunday, April 7, 2024

April 7th's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to the weekend and this week's Sunday/Monday Post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Not too much of excitement going on around here.  We completed month end close at work, but then I got pulled into a couple of things I wasn't expecting at the end of the week.  I have way too much to do before the end of April.

Health wise, I feel like I've pretty much kicked this disease to the curb.  I went for runs Monday and Wednesday this week, in fact, enjoying our mid-70's while we had it.  It really cooled down at the end of the week.  If it hit 50 on Friday, I'd be surprised.

Fortunately, it warmed up a little on Saturday since it was walking book club day.  Nice as always.

Anyway, the rest of my family is getting better.  I feel like I recovered faster than them, but they are better than they were a week ago.  I talked to my parents on the phone (I live several hours away from everyone else), and they are sounding better.

This Past Week on the Blog:


This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Movie Review: One Bad Apple
Tuesday - Book Review: An Orphan of Hell's Kitchen by Liz Freeland
Wednesday - Movie Review: Bohemian Rhapsody
Thursday - Book Review: Yosemite by Sandy Dengler
Friday - Friday Post
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul:

I got another four books this week.  At some point, I need to start reading twice as fast as I do, right?  It's my only hope of ever catching up.

The first book is actually non-fiction - I Sleep Around by Sue Ann Jaffarian.  Sue Ann has written mysteries in the past, and lived in the Los Angeles area before she retired.  When she did retire, she bought a small RV and started traveling the country.  And that's what this book is about.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  I have an ARC for the book, which comes out in June.

But no reason to worry about me.  The rest of the books are mysteries.

Next up is The Kitten Caper by Tara Lush.  This is a prequel novella to her new series.  She was giving it away free earlier in the week, and I snagged it.  Looks like it isn't widely available on the usual sites.  Anyway, the series sounds fun, so I'm hoping I'll get a chance to give this a read soonish.

The last couple are ebooks that went on sale at Amazon at the end of the week.  I'd been eyeing A Deadly Combo by Karen A. Phillips for a while.  The main character in this series is a boxer.  It sounds good, so hopefully, I'll enjoy it.

I feel like I might have a paperback copy of Site Unseen, the first Emma Fielding Mystery from Dana Cameron, around here somewhere.  I know the series has been on my radar for a long time, even before Hallmark turned it into a mystery series.  But when I saw the first book was on sale, I snagged the ebook.  If it's a duplicate, I don't know where the physical copy is.  And I know I never read it.  And at only 99 cents, I'm not feeling guilty about getting it again.

What I'm Currently Reading:

I'm in the middle of a couple of ARCs from Kensington at the moment.  I've recently finished Under the Paper Moon, a stand alone about two former spies who are brought back together on a case in Los Angeles in 1948.  Shaina Steinberg is the author.  I'm trying to figure out what I thought about the book.  There are things I liked, and things that didn't work for me.  I'm going to sleep on it at least once before I write the review.  Hopefully, that will help me bring my thoughts into focus.

Up next for me will be A Murder Most French by Colleen Cambridge.  This is the second in a series set in 1950 Paris.  The main character is neighbors and best friends with Julia Child.  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to the characters here.

I think that does it for me this week.  Hope your week is good.

15 comments:

  1. A Murder Most French sounds very intriguing. I hope you are enjoying it, Mark. Have a wonderful Sunday! ☕📚

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Bohemian Rhapsody, I'm curious as to what you'll think of it.
    https://getlostinlit.blogspot.com/2024/04/the-sunday-post.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've recovered well and the family are also feeling better. And I'm intrigued about a walking book club - what happens there?? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're feeling better and got to do your walking book club, etc.

    This little cold snap we got was not fun. The warmer weather had been perfect for making me ready to jump out of bed and do the deep cleaning I needed to do, but then for the final stretch it was so cold I didn't want to get out of bed so it was a real struggle. Mon-Thu this week are looking good though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're feeling better and your family is getting there too. Wow, Friday was chilly for you. I hope your week goes smoothly and you enjoy your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you and your family are feeling better; it sounds like a cold/flu that was tough to shake off. I am currently watching Amazing Race so will go read your TV post when I am done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I'm not sure I can ever catch up, ahaha. Maybe when I retire... Hope you enjoy the new books! :)

    This week's roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear that you are feeling better! April really is such a busy month, I feel you on that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad everyone is on the mend. Both your current reads sound good. Hope you enjoy all your books.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_7.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wish my local library had a copy of A Murder Most French. It sounds fabulous! On a positive note, I should be able to pick up the first in the series before the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Nice looking new books too. I often, deliberately, buy Kindle copies of books I already own since I much prefer reading on my Kindle these days. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't read much non-fiction, but I Sleep Around looks really good! Our library has had walking book club, but I'm always working! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad everyone is on the mend! I sleep around sounds good!

    Jill
    http://www.allthebooksihaventread.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think later this month I might be reading the first book in your French murder mystery series. I'm looking forward to it.

    I'm glad you are feeling better. And if you figure out a way to read more books faster, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you're feeling better. I hope the rest of your family feels better soon! I loved that Dana Cameron series though it's been forever since I read it and I'm sure I missed a few. The Sue Ann Jaffrian book sounds fun. I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.