Friday, April 5, 2024

April 5th's Friday Post

After a couple of weeks off, I'm back with a new Friday Post.  I will once again be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week, I'll be pulling teasers for the first three from Yosemite by Sandy Dengler.


Yes, this is a mystery.  In fact, it's the sixth in her Jack Prester series.  Jack is a National Parks ranger who specializes in solving bigger problems, which often include murder, although in this case, he's trying to keep three witnesses hidden from people who want to kill them.

Knowing that, I'll admit, the beginning threw me a bit.  Here's how the book opens:

The bride pointed to the entry in the Visitor’s Guide to California. “It says here that it’s ‘a delightful historical inn in the midst of Chinatown, bustling by day but quiet at night.’ And there’s the picture. Black and white. It would be much better in color.”

Within a page or so, it made sense to me, but I was trying to figure out what that had to do with the story.

Meanwhile, at 56% we find this:

“While you’re doing that, I’m going to try to find ourselves someone useful as a hostage.“

That doesn't sound good.

I really enjoyed this one.  I'll be reviewing it this coming Thursday.

Now, it's time to switch gears for the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

In elementary school, did you participate in the Book-It! reading program?

Since it doesn't sound familiar, I'm going to go with no.

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Yosemite sounds interesting. I like the quotes.

    My school didn't do that reading programme.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/04/05/book-blogger-hop-in-elementary-school-did-you-participate-in-the-book-it-reading-program/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are enjoying the Jack Prester mysteries. That's quite a Friday56 excerpt! I agree, the situation doesn't sound good at all.

    I don't recognize the name of that reading program either, I'm afraid. I know I participated in reading programs when I was in elementary school, but am not sure it was related to that one.

    Have a great weekend, Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Book It! when I was a teacher, but not as a student. I looked it up and found that it started in 1984. I started my last year of elementary school that year, so if I did participate in it, it was probably only for one year. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should look into this series since I am a fan of National Parks (who isn't). In fact I'll be visiting one tomorrow...Arches in Utah!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.