Sunday, April 21, 2024

April 21st's Sunday/Monday Post

Welcome to this week's Sunday/Monday Post.  As usual, I will be linking up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

I'm writing this Saturday night, and I just spent the day at the LA Times Festival of Books, which was held again on the USC campus in downtown LA.  The highlight from a book perspective was getting to talk to several authors I've become friends with over the years.  I only bought one book during the day.

However, the real highlight was getting to hang out with a friend of mine all day.  Angelique and I have been going to the festival for decades.  We enjoy many of the same writers, so it's always fun to hang out and compare what we've been reading recently.  In fact, we spent quite a bit of time just sitting and talking instead of wandering around looking at the booths.  Although, we did cover all the booths, too.

This Past Week on the Blog:


This Coming Week on the Blog:


Sunday - Sunday/Monday Post
Monday - Book Review: Torn Asunder by Barbara Ross
Tuesday - Movie Review: The Philadelphia Story
Wednesday - Book Review: Under the Radar by Annette Dashofy
Thursday - Movie Review: Ferdinand
Friday - Book Review: The Crossing by Michael Connelly

Book Haul:

As I said, I only bought one book at the festival today.  But that's okay since I haven't read any of the books I bought last year yet.  Yeah, I need to stop buying books and read some of the ones I already have around here.

Anyway, the book I did buy was Perilous Waters by Terry Shames.  This is the first in a new series from the author.  It involves a diver in the Bahamas.  Sounds great to me!  Hopefully, I can get to it soonish.

Meanwhile, I had a book waiting for me when I came home.  My copy of 'Til Death by Annette Dashofy arrived.  This is book 10 in her Zoe Chambers series.  Yes, I was reading book 9 in the series last week (and the review is coming up on Wednesday).  I want to at least get this book read in the series this year as I keep trying to catch up on it.

Finally, I got my copy of Torn Asunder by Barbara Ross this week.  The publisher is only sending finished copies of their mass market paperbacks now, so I got it about a week before release date.  Closer than I would normally have liked, but I love this series, so I'm squeezing it in.

What I'm Currently Reading:

In fact, I've finished Torn Asunder.  Now, I need to get the review written so I can post it on Monday.  (If I don't, I'll just swap it in for Wednesday.)  So good.  Fans of the series will really enjoy it.

Since I was gone all day being around readers and authors, I haven't made much progress in my new book.  There's still some time this evening, and definitely time on Sunday to change that.  My current read is The Bootlegger's Daughter by Nadine Nettmann.  This is the first book from her in a few years, and her first historical.  It's set in Los Angeles in 1927.  So far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm only two chapters in.

That's it for me.  Have a great week!

18 comments:

  1. I'm envious of your many years at the LA Times Festival of Books. I hear it is one of the best book festivals in the country. I've only been to the Texas Book Festival and the book festival in Chicago. One day I'd like to visit the festival in Washington D.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book festival sounds awesome! I'm glad you got to catch up with an old friend too! Book friends are the best kind of friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you had such a wonderful time at the LA Festival of Books. I have a favourite Con - Bristolcon and I'm really hoping that I continue with my recovery as I'd love to go this year:)). There is nothing like the buzz of meeting a favourite author, or catch up with a reading buddy you haven't seen since forever...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Festival of Books sounds like a great day out. I'm intrigued by a main character for a series who is a diver in the Bahamas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book festival sounds like a lot of fun and experiencing it with a friend is perfection. Have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it a goal this year to track on my blog series i started, audiobooks i read, any backlist titles i read and any older netgalley i cleaned out. I like seeing the list grow and knowing that i indeed read some of the books i owned. As i finished them i check and see if the library has a copy of it and if it a more current title they usually will take it and add it to there collection. So in a way i extending my personal library that everyone gets to enjoy. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had an amazing time. I would love to go to a book festival at some point. Maybe when the kids are older 😂

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/04/21/sunday-post-123/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went to the LA Times book Festival years ago and haven't been back. Every year I tell myself I am going to go then as it comes around, I have plans or something gets in the way. I should plan to meet up with LA friends and make a commitment for next year. I am so glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The festival sounds awesome, I wish we had something similar here!

    Wishing you a great week of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Festival of Books, and went to one back a few years. Enjoy your week, and here's mine: WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to go to the LA Festival of Books. I'm glad you enjoyed it and had time with your friend. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish we had a book festival here. It sounds wonderful. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Book festivals tend to death on the pocketbooks. I am amazed you got away with only buying one book. Once I went to one where they are giving away ARC copies of books. I got so many I couldn't even carry them all at one time. When I got home I thought, why do I want all these? I gave them away to students, instead.

    Check out the colors of the tulips I visited this week! My Sunday Salon is so colorful this week

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every year I think about going to the LATFB but then I don't. Sounds like you had a great time hanging out with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad to hear you had a good time with your friend! The Bootlegger's Daughter looks really good! Looking forward to your review. You can find me here: https://www.wellversedwomen.net/post/the-sunday-book-report

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like an amazing time. Impressive that you bought only one book at the festival. Hope you enjoy your week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2024/04/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Festival of Books sounds so fun and even more fun to go with a long time friend who enjoys some of the same authors! I hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had an amazing time.
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.