Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Book Review: Molten Death by Leslie Karst (Orchid Isle Mysteries #1)

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Inventive mystery, good characters, fun setting
Cons: Main characters’ relationship for part of the book
The Bottom Line:
Body in lava
Interrupts Valerie’s trip
Creative story




Valerie Runs into a Hot Problem on Vacation in Hawaii

Author Leslie Karst splits her year between Santa Cruz, California, and Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii.  She set her first series, the Sally Solari Mysteries, in Santa Cruz, so it makes sense that she’d follow it up with the Orchid Isle Mysteries, based in Hilo.  This new series gets off to a good start with Molten Death.

Valerie Corbin and her wife, Kristen, are spending a couple of weeks in Hilo, staying with Kristen’s friend Isaac.  They have arrived just as a lava flow is really gaining steam, so they decide to go out and see it early their first Saturday morning on the island.  When Valerie wanders away from the other two, she sees part of a body being buried in the molten lava.  She can’t get anyone to take her seriously, even Kristen and Isaac.  Certainly, the police aren’t taking it seriously without any proof.  Can Valerie figure out what really happened?

The plot presented us with quite the puzzle, and I was hooked early wondering just how Valerie would figure it out.  I was impressed with how Valerie was able to piece things together at the end, and everything did add up.  Plus, there were some great twists along the way.  I also appreciated that Valerie had a very good reason to be making sure justice was done.  As much as I love cozies, I realize that an amateur getting involved with a murder like the main characters usually do is a huge stretch.

My biggest issue with the book, and pay close attention to what I’m saying here, is Valerie and Kristen’s relationship.  They are going through a rough patch when this book opens, and Kristen is not happy with Valerie’s detecting.  If this were a couple books into the series, I think this sub-plot would have worked.  Instead, it actually made it hard for me to like Kristen for part of the book.  And I didn’t feel like this particular sub-plot was paid off well.

Valerie is older than the typical cozy mystery sleuth, and I enjoyed seeing that.  She’s also dealing with some recent trauma, which made for some dark background material, but I appreciated that.  Just be aware that this has a darker tinge than some cozies when you pick it up and you’ll be fine.  By the end, I really did like all the characters I’m assuming will be series regulars.  The suspects are well developed as well.

There is some Pigeon and Hawai’ian scattered throughout the dialogue.  For the most part, it worked well to give the story an authentic island feel.  I will say a few times it went a little overboard for my taste, but that seemed to happen most at the beginning.  There is a glossary at the end to help us non-Islanders figure out the words if the context doesn’t give you the clues you need.  Personally, I was able to figure it out, although I had to read a little slower than normal a few times.  This really is something to note in passing.

I also really enjoyed the setting.  I was on the Big Island a couple years ago with two friends.  While I didn’t go all the places the characters did, I certainly recognized a few landmarks, and that made me smile.  And who doesn’t want to take a Hawaiian vacation?

While Valerie is retired, she has a background in the food industry, and there is plenty of talk about food.  The six recipes at the end will tempt anyone who wants to enjoy some island cuisine.

An inventive plot makes Molten Death a great read for mystery fans.  Now that I’ve met these characters, I will be looking for their next mystery.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

3 comments:

  1. I love the setting for this series! I'll have to give this one a try! Too bad about the character relationship issues. Hopefully that's something that stays mostly resolved in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I live just outside Hilo, I'll definitely give this one a try. It sounds like an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Hawaiian setting but am not sure I want to read the book if there is too much Hawaiian verbage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.