Thursday, December 17, 2015

Ornament Review: Admiral Ackbar - 2015 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great ornament of a popular supporting character
Cons: Looking for cons is the trap
The Bottom Line:
Admiral Ackbar gets
His turn to be ornament
It’s a … victory




No, It’s Not a Trap for Your Christmas Tree

I must admit that I am hit or miss with Hallmark’s limited edition Star Wars ornaments.  Sometimes I know the characters right off, and sometimes I have to do some research to figure out who it is.  (I love the movies, but I don’t have every aspect memorized since I’ve only seen them a few times.)  Admiral Ackbar was not one of those I had to research, however.  Who could forget such a memorable looking character with such a famous line.

Yes, Admiral Ackbar appears in Return of the Jedi as the leader of the rebellion.  He’s back at headquarters directing the battle in the space around Endor, helping coordinate things so the Empire can finally be defeated.  As part of that, he utters the line “It’s a trap!” as the characters realize things aren’t as they first appeared.  (Why that line has become so well known, I don’t know, but it does seem fairly universally loved by fans.  I know I do.)

Of course, who can forget someone with his looks, either.  They must have used a ton of prosthetics and make up since his face looks so alien.  It might just be me, but I always think of him as a wall-eyed fish on a walrus face.  He’s probably supposed to just be a fish face, but I think of him that way.  Of course, the rest of his body is human looking arms and legs (if alien looking hands and feet), but that face!

Hallmark does a great job of capturing him.  In this ornament, he looks just like he does in the movie.  He’s even wearing his white uniform as he stands before us with his hands on his hips.  And that alone is going to make this ornament a must own for Star Wars fans.  I can’t imagine a better ornament of the character.  He looks fantastic!  And he’s not someone you’d rush to make an ornament from (look how long Hallmark has been making Star Wars ornaments, and this is a first), so we might never get another chance.

Akbar is standing up, meaning the ornament only has his two feet to use for balance.  It’s not super steady and will fall over backwards quickly, but you can set it out on a flat surface to be enjoyed year round as long as the surface is not likely to get bumped.  The loop for hanging the ornament is on his head, and you’ll find that he hangs straight as well.

While I haven’t bought all of the Star Wars limited ornaments that Hallmark has created, I knew I’d have to buy Admiral Ackbar as soon as he was announced, and I don’t regret the decision at all.  If you are a Star Wars fan, you’ll be glad you bought him as well.

Original Price: $14.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.