Sunday, February 10, 2013

Book Review: The Cop was White as Snow by Joyce Spizer (Harbor Pointe Mysteries #1)


Stars: 1 out of 5
Pros: Nothing Really
Cons: The pacing, characters, and story were all lacking.
The Bottom Line
This book doesn't work
No elements were that good
Needed editor




I Wanted to Like this Book.  Instead, I Recommend You Skip It

Mel's life is thrown upside down when her father's body is found on a lonely country road after he committed suicide. Her father was a cop, and Mel has followed in his footsteps by becoming a private investigator. Mel is convinced that he was really murdered for something he knew, possibly on his last case before retirement. And when her life is threatened as she starts the investigation, she concludes she was right. But what did he know that was worth killing for?

I really wanted to like this book. The author is a private investigator, and the idea of an investigator fictionalizing a case appealed to me. But I was disappointed. The plotting was uneven, sometimes causing me to skim ahead to get back to the story. There would be entire chapters that didn't have anything to do with the story and really didn't develop the characters. In fact, the characters seemed stiff and I really didn't come to care for any of them. The solution was oddly satisfying, however, maybe because it meant the book was over.

It takes a lot for me not to recommend a book. The Cop Was White As Snow plodded along, making for a reading experience that was less then enjoyable. Skip it and find something else to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.