Tuesday, March 25, 2014

What's on My Nightstand - March 2014

March is quickly coming to a close.  Okay, so we have one more week, but tomorrow is the fourth Tuesday of the month, so it's time for What's on Your Nightstand?

I started off the month with a rash of cozy mystery reviews.  Mainly, they were ones I had finished or almost finished at the end of February but came out in March.

Then I took a detour to non-fiction for Cold-Case Christianity (linked to my review).  This book was an interesting take on the evidence for Christianity written by a cold-case detective.  I enjoyed it as a mystery reader because I could really follow his logic.  I didn't think the book necessarily broke any new ground, but I enjoyed it anyway.

On Monday, I just finished Let the Storm Break, the second in a YA fantasy series by Shannon Messenger. It was captivating, and I couldn't put it down.

So what's on deck?  Tonight, I picked up a hold request from the library - I Even Funnier by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein.  It's a middle grade novel.  The first was okay, so we'll see how I feel about this one.  At least the price was right.

After that will be Inherit the Word, the second Cookbook Nook mystery by Daryl Wood Gerber.  I'm quite anxious to get to this one, so hopefully it will be as good as the first book was.

That will take me into April, and beyond that I don't know for sure.  I've got a few books by favorite authors coming out, so it will partially depend on when I get the books.

4 comments:

  1. Haven't heard of Cold-Case Christianity. Sounds like an intriguing perspective if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good book. Yes, the perspective was different, and that was part of what I liked, but the information was still very good.

      Delete
  2. I also had not heard of Cold Case Christianity. It doesn't sound tremendously different from other apologetics books--but coming at it from the point of view of a cold-case detective is very interesting, especially since evaluating Christianity's truth claims does bear a lot of resemblance (in some ways) to working on a long ago mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the point that he makes in the book, and does it a good job with it, too.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.