Friday, April 25, 2014

April 25th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Another week's coming to an end, which means it is time for this week's Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week I'm going to pull from my current read, Gluten for Punishment by Nancy J. Parra.


Yep, it's another culinary cozy mystery.  This time, the sleuth is running an allergy conscious bakery and all the items are gluten free.  I've just made it to page 56 myself, but so far I'm enjoying it.

The book starts like this:

"Turn the house into a bed-and-breakfast."  My best friend since grade school, Tasha Wilkes, pursed her lips and eyed the 1970s decor of the rambling 1885 Victorian house my mom left me.

And from page 56, we'll take the last two sentences I've read in the book myself.

I wasn't going to ask if the day could get any worse.  That would be asking for trouble now wouldn't it?

As I say, that ended a chapter, and I haven't started the next one yet.  But I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the day would definitely get worse.

10 comments:

  1. That would most definitely be jinxing yourself! If I was left a rambling Victorian house I would do my very best to turn it into a library or bookshop! How beautiful would that be? Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a bookstore in a Victorian House. If we had any around here, I might be tempted to do just that.

      Delete
  2. Never say things could not get worse. The universe will prove you wrong. My Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beginning would definitely make me keep reading, especially since a Victorian home is the setting. I also like the Page 56 chapter ender. Hard to believe you were able to stop reading after that sentence!
    Here's the link to my Friday post: RESCUE MY HEART.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on what I can tell, the book is set more around the bakery than the house, but it is an interesting beginning.

      Delete
  4. I would LOVE to own a bed and breakfast. I sure like to stay at them. :)

    THANKS for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a BnB would be too much work for me, but they are fun to stay at, aren't they?

      Delete
  5. I just jumped on the gluten-free chuckwagon recently.
    That 56 has a ring of truth to it. Ask for trouble and you usually get it.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some friends who are gluten-free for health reasons, but I'm not with them despite some of my other allergies.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.