Monday, March 7, 2016

Ornament Review: Robin Hood - Art of Disney Animation #7 - 2016 Disney Store Ornament


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great looking ornament of two lesser done characters
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Almost forgotten
Characters appears on this
Well done ornament


A Rarer Disney Movie Gets an Ornament and DisNerds Rejoice!

Welcome to another episode of “True Confessions of a DisNerd.”  It’s been years since I’ve watched Robin Hood.  I’m not completely sure why because I know I’ve enjoyed it in the past when I’ve watched it.  Even though many details of the movie are hazy to me, I am still enjoying this new ornament in the Art of Disney Animation series.

The ornament features Robin Hood, who in this version is a fox, and Skippy, a small rabbit.  They are inside a house, and Skippy is holding Robin Hood’s bow and arrow while Robin is about to put his hat on the young rabbit’s head.  It’s a cute scene that makes me think of a young boy getting to interact with his hero.

Now I’d love to be able to tell you how this ornament perfectly captures a certain scene from the movie, and I’m sure it does.  I just can’t remember that scene.  And yet I still love this ornament.  Why?  Because Robin Hood is one of those movies we rarely see much merchandise for.  The fact that we even have this is amazing, and I know other Disney fans who were ecstatic to get it for the same reason.

And I don’t need to remember the specific scene to enjoy the ornament.  The two characters look great, and you can feel a true warming for the movie and between these characters just by looking at it.  Plus there are the great details of the straw roof and stone walls of the building they are in.  You don’t need to connect it with a scene to appreciate the artistry here.

The ornaments in this series are really works of art all by themselves, and you could easily set this one out to be displayed year round.  After all, it’s not like there is anything specifically Christmas about it.  The ornament has a wonderful flat base, so if you want to make it part of a display, that won’t be an issue at all.

And the ornament is perfectly balanced.  Like most ornaments from the Disney Store, this one comes with a red ribbon through the loop on the top.  Pick it up by that loop, and you’ll find that it hangs straight.

I really do need to go rewatch Robin Hood.  And this ornament just might be the impetus to go and do just that.

The rarer is a theme in the rest of the Art of Disney Animation ornaments as well.

Original Price: $19.95

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.