Monday, March 11, 2019

Ornament Review: Cookie Cutter Christmas #7 - Ice Fishing - 2018 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: Creative for fishermen
Cons: I’m not a fisherman, so it doesn’t appeal
The Bottom Line:
Cookie cutter fish
Has more limited appeal
My least favorite




I’ll Be Fishing for Reasons to Like This Ornament

As a rule, I have loved the Cookie Cutter Christmas series since it started.  2018 marks the first year I didn’t absolutely love it.  I thought it might change when I saw it in person, but it didn’t.

I think the problem for me is the theme – ice fishing.  I don’t fish, so it doesn’t appeal to me.

This isn’t to say that the ornament itself doesn’t look good.  The cookie cutter shape is a fish, naturally.  Inside, our mouse friend is sitting on a hard candy fishing.  He’s just caught something since there is a hard candy fish on his candy cane fishing pole.  He’s also staying there on the ice since he has a tent made of candy dot sheets right next to his hole.  We get a glimpse of the sun behind the mountains.

Somehow, this doesn’t seem to have the whimsy of the other entries in the series.  It’s still got the cute mouse and the clever scene populated with sweets.  It just doesn’t have the spark that makes me love the others so much.  And it’s not just the fact that I don’t fish because the ice fishing entry in the Winter Fun with Snoopy is one of my favorites.

Since the ornament is a 3D shaped cookie cutter, it does have a wide enough base to stand on its own, although the rounded bottom to the ornament means it tips backwards.  So, I do recommend hanging it on your tree.  It’s no surprise that it hangs straight.

Since this is part of a series, you’ll find a 7 in a Christmas shape on the back.  It’s hiding next to the handle for the cutter back there.  Yes, they do think of everything.

I do know some collectors really liked this one, but I’m left hoping that next year’s Cookie Cutter Christmas will be better.

Do be sure to check out the rest of the Cookie Cutter Christmas ornaments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.