Sunday, March 8, 2020

Disney Pin Review: Queen of Hearts - Windows of Evil - 2018 Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: The Queen, some other characters, and other fun touches
Cons: I won’t list any – I want to keep my head
The Bottom Line:
Queen in a window
Filled with many fun touches
Is she a villain?

Don’t Like This Pin?  Off with Your Head!

I tend to have a traditional view of villains as someone who is actively out to plot harm.  As such, I question a few of the characters included in the list of Disney villains, like the Queen of Hearts.  To me, she’s a tyrant, but she’s more a spoiled child than an evil villain.  Anyway, Disney included her in the Windows of Evil pin series, and I definitely do like this pin.

These pins are crafted to mimic stained glass windows.  The main feature of this one is the Queen of Hearts.  She takes up two thirds of the window, and it is mostly her face.  It’s actually a bit creepy, but that’s okay – she’s bad, after all.

However, it’s the added features of the pins that I really love.  In this case, the Queen is not the only character on the pin.  Up at the top, we have the White Rabbit and the Cheshire Cat.  Okay, they are more suggested than anything else, but it is easy to tell who they are.  Meanwhile, at the bottom, we have four of the Queen’s card guards, one of each suit.  Up at the top of the window’s frame are roses – just don’t tell the Queen they are silver and not red.

Obviously, there is a lot of love about this pin, and I really do love it.  The way they worked all the characters into it makes it fun.

Thinking about my comments earlier on the whether she is a villain or not, I guess part of my feelings on the Queen are colored by the book.  While it is never shown in the movie, the book makes it clear that no one ever dies despite the Queen constantly yelling “Off with their heads!”  The King always quietly lets the prisoners go.  While the Queen acts like a tyrant, the book makes it clear she is all bark with no real power, and I view her that way even in the movie.  Also, since it is all Alice’s dream, I find it hard to count the Queen as a villain.  But I know I’m alone in that.

As I said, this is a great pin, and I was happy to add it to my collection.  Any fan of the Queen of Hearts will feel the same way.

If you'd like to see my picture, check out my Instagram post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.