Sunday, March 22, 2020

Music Review: Everything As It Should Be by Andy Gullahorn


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Strong lyrics and great music
Cons: Now that I have this disc, everything’s as it should be
The Bottom Line:
Simple arrangements
Filled with beautiful music
Powerful lyrics




Things Will Be as They Should Be When You Buy This Release

Last month, Jason Gray posted on Instagram about his friend and fellow musician Andy Gullahorn.  Considering how much I love Jason’s music, a recommendation from him is something I take seriously, especially when I noticed that Andy has recorded a few songs that Jason also recorded.  I decided to sample his music with his newest release, 2018’s Everything As It Should Be.  I love it!

Andy Gullahorn takes a simple approach to making music here.  The focus is on him and his guitar.  Yes, there are other instruments, and yes, there are background vocals, but the main impression is him and his guitar.  It’s acoustic in its simplicity, really.  But it is also beautiful in its simplicity and allows the lyrics to shine through even more.

If you haven’t noticed, I am very much a lyrics guy when it comes to music.  Yes, some songs I enjoy for the music, but the songs I really love are the ones with strong lyrics.  That’s the case here.

“Different Now” opens up the disc and talks about struggling to please others versus really living a good life after God has transformed you.  It’s got a catchy melody and is just a fun opener all the way around.

“Village” is a song that will hit you between the eyes.  It’s a reminder that we need to love those around us despite our political differences.  And yes, there are brief references to current political events in the song, but the ultimate reminder of the song is that “It’s gonna take a village to put love back in this town.”  And it’s true.

Which brings us to the title track, a song that paints a picture of domestic bliss that is real.  In other words, it’s chaotic and messy, but it is still the way it should be.

Then there’s “Your Worst Day,” which is a commitment to love someone even when they aren’t being at all lovable.

I was familiar with “Death Without a Funeral” since Jason Gray had recorded it a few years back.  No surprise to discover that the two friends cowrote it.  It’s a melancholy song about loss and grieving something instead of a person who has died.  I’ve already enjoyed the song, and this version of it is just as strong as the one I’m used to hearing.

In fact, there are a couple more somber songs to close out this disc.  “The End of the World” is written from the point of view of someone who has just had their world up ended by a tragedy –  the loss of a child.  It looks at the world going on as if nothing has happened when, for the singer, the world has stopped.  It’s has powerful and poignant lyrics.  “Light a Candle” is the logical next step.  It’s taking that first step out of tragedy to more forward with life.  Sad songs can overwhelm me, but that isn’t the case with either of these songs.

But the disc also has a very funny song on it.  “Teenagers” looks at life with teens and pokes some fun at them and their parents.  I have laughed every time I’ve heard the song.

As I said, I bought the disc last month, and I’ve listened to it multiple times since then.  I am constantly drawn back to it and the reminders and hope it offers.

I’m definitely glad I gave Andy Gullahorn a chance, and based on this disc, I’ve bought the rest of his releases.  With as much as I’ve enjoyed Everything As It Should Be, I’m looking forward to many more great song.

CD Length: 45:00
Tracks:
1. Different Now
2. Village
3. Everything’s As It Should Be
4. Let It Go
5. The Brave One
6. Death Without a Funeral
7. Teenagers
8. Mirage
9. Your Worst Day
10. The End of the World
11. Light a Candle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.