Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Book Review: The Mountains Wild by Sarah Stewart Taylor (Maggie D'Arcy #1)


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Strong characters, mystery, setting
Cons: Pacing slow at times
The Bottom Line:
Long missing woman
Might solution be in sight?
Atmospheric book




Mystery from the Past; Race Against Time in the Present

Years ago, I discovered and read Sarah Stewart Taylor’s four Sweeney St. George mysteries.  Every so often I check to see if she has anything new coming out, and I was thrilled to see The Mountains Wild turn up in one of those searches.  I immediately put it on my to be read list.

This book introduces us to Maggie D’Arcy.  In 1993, her cousin Erin vanished while living in Ireland.  Maggie went over for a couple of months trying to figure out what happened, but the mystery was never solved.  It did have a profound impact on her life since after returning home, Maggie become a cop herself on Long Island.

Now, another young woman has vanished.  In the search for her, a skeleton has been found, and buried with the skeleton is Erin’s scarf.  Has Erin been found after all these years?  Where is the new woman who has vanished?  Are the cases connected?

I had forgotten just how atmospheric Sarah’s writing can be.  I was immediately captivated all over again as we are invited in Maggie’s world.  The story jumps between Maggie is the present, her investigation in 1993, and glimpses of Maggie and Erin growing up together.  If that sounds complicated, don’t worry.  It all is clearly labeled and easy to follow.

As rich and evocative as the writing is, I did feel the mystery got off to a slow start.  Even though Maggie is a detective back in Long Island, she clearly has no jurisdiction in Ireland.  As a result, she isn’t really driving the plot for a while.  Once she does find a way to get involved, things definitely pick up, and we get some great twists along the way to the climax.

One thing that is interesting with the dual timelines is the characters.  Because many of the same people are involved in 1993 and the present, we get to see how the characters evolved over the years.  It’s not something I get to see too often in the books I read, and I enjoy that.

Having said that, this is definitely Maggie’ book.  Through everything going on, we can’t help but root for her and feel for her as the tale unfolds before us.

Another interesting quirk of the book is the tense used in the story.  For the flashbacks, things are told in the past tense.  However, the parts of the story set in the present as written in present tense.  I always find my mind has to adjust when I read a book written in present tense, but it never takes me long to do so.

The Mountains Wild is a book that will stick with you after you finish it.  It’s definitely more serious than the cozies I normally read, but keep that in mind and you’ll enjoy it, too.

Enjoy the rest of the Maggie D'Arcy Mysteries.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.