Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Movie Review: 2 Fast 2 Furious


Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Action, likeable characters, decent story
Cons: Mostly mindless movie
The Bottom Line:
Street racing and crime
Combine in action packed film
Mindless yet still fun




Racing to Stop a Criminal

I had some issues with the original The Fast and the Furious when I watched it a few years ago, but with the franchise being so popular, I had to give it another chance.  That’s why movies air on TV right?  I caught 2 Fast 2 Furious on the air recently, and I enjoyed it more than the first.

After the events of the first movie, former police officer Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker, the only returning cast member) has relocated to Miami, Florida, where he occasionally takes part in illegal street races.  After one such race, he gets picked up by the police, but instead of being sent to prison, he’s given an opportunity.

The US customs service is trying to take down drug kingpin Carter Verone (Cole Hunter).  They’ve even had an agent, Monica Fuentes (Eva Mendes), undercover for almost a year.  Monica has gotten word back to the police that she is putting together a crew of fast drivers for a job.  If Brian will also go undercover and help take him down, they will forget about his recent crimes.  He insists on working with Roman Pearce (Tyrese Gibson), his childhood friend who is now an ex-con.  Will the pair be able to work together enough to succeed in their mission?

Let’s be honest, the plot is just an excuse for fast cars racing in incredible and impossible ways.  And stunts.  We can’t forget the car related stunts.  Having said that, the plot holds together well.  I was actually concerned for the characters are got caught up in the action more than I did during the first movie.

It helps that the characters are likable here.  I struggled with liking anyone in the first film, but here I could sympathize with the heroes and I wanted to see them succeed.  It also helps that the actors appear to be having fun working together.

And the action?  It’s great.  There are definitely some moments that stretch credibility, but they are fun, so I definitely didn’t care.

2 Fast 2 Furious is a fun, mindless action movie.  If that’s what you are in the mood for, this is definitely one to check out.  And it makes me want to continue on with the franchise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.