Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Movie Review: Garage Sale Mystery - Searched and Seized

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Mostly good plot, great to spend more time with these characters
Cons: Ending a little weak, usual low budget production
The Bottom Line:
One more Garage Sale
Has elements that fans love
Be sure to catch it

“I’ve Noticed a Few Odd Things.”  “Here We Go.”

I knew there was at least one Garage Sale Mystery movie that had never aired thanks to star Lori Loughlin’s involvement in the college admission scandal.  I wasn’t sure if it would ever air, but I’d stopped looking for it.  Imagine my surprise when I stumbled on it on the schedule, so I immediately set my DVR to record Searched and Seized.

Antique store owner Jennifer Shannon (Lori Loughlin) is prepared to help out her friend Miles (Hrothgar Mathews) with a police auction he is running.  While the two own competing antiques businesses, they have become friends over the years.  So Jennifer is surprised when Miles informs her abruptly that he has hired someone else to help him.

The auction mostly goes off okay, but a few weird things catch Jennifer’s eye.  But then Miles dies later that night.  While it looks like suicide at first, the medical examiner rules it a homicide.  Will Jennifer figure out what is really going on?

While I struggled with the early movies in the franchise, I hadn’t realized how much I can come to miss these characters until I started watching this movie.  It was just like being home, and I loved it.  Everyone’s here, and it was great to see them again.  About the only thing missing was a truly terribly joke from the medical examiner.  And since I always loved them, I missed it.

There is a sub-plot involving a car that Jennifer’s son, Logan (Connor Stanhope), buys at the auction with the intent of fixing it up.  I really enjoyed it.

And the mystery itself?  There was plenty of keep me guessing.  I did feel the ending was a little weaker than it could have been, but overall, it was a strong mystery that kept me engaged.

Since the actors had been playing these roles for years at this point (despite early recasting), they know the characters and are able to bring them to life for us.

Yes, there is a bit of the low budget issues that plague many Hallmark movies, but it is a small dose.  The movies in this franchise were a well-oiled machine.

At this point, I can’t remember if there are any more Garage Sale Mysteries that had been filmed but unscheduled due to the scandal.  I believe that Searched and Seized is the final film completed, but I will keep my eyes open in case I am wrong.  If this is the end, it is one that fans of the franchise will enjoy.

3 comments:

  1. I like that this is about a garage sale. It's good thing they aired this episode

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know this and am so excited! I think I've said it before but this was my favorite of the Hallmark mysteries. I'm going to go check to the Hallmark schedule to see when it comes on next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the many mystery series I have not watched yet. I have a few recorded, but there are so many episodes and since Hallmark doesn't air complete marathons in order I may have to borrow it from the library. I've heard great things about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.