Friday, March 10, 2023

March 10th's Friday Post

We've made it to Friday!  Let's celebrate with a Friday post.  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

For the first three this week, I'll be pulling teasers from Hooked on Murder by Betty Hechtman.


This is the first in her Crochet Mysteries.  It actually came out in 2008, so I'm very late in picking it up.  I think you'll see why I'm using it for my teasers this week when you see how the book begins.

When I stopped by Ellen Sheridan's house to drop off the crochet hooks she'd left at the bookstore, I expected to be in and out with maybe a thank-you and a few brownie points.  I certainly didn't expect to end up in handcuffs.

Isn't that a great opening?

On page 56, we are at the reception after the funeral, and Molly, the main character, is observing Ellen's widower.

I wondered about Lawrence.  As I'd watched him walk through the room, he has seemed too in control, too distant.  I wondered whether he really was that cold, or whether he was a master of shutting off uncomfortable feelings.

I did have some mixed reactions to the book.  I'll have more for you next Thursday when I post my full review.  I hope you'll come back then to read it.

Let's turn to this week's Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

Do you listen to audiobooks with earbuds or headphones?

Very little.  When I started listening to audiobooks, it was in my car while driving.  The pandemic made me more of a hybrid listening - car and around the condo.  Since I live alone, I will just let the book play if I am in my condo.  However, I have started listening to audiobooks some during parts of my walks.  (There's too much traffic to listen the entire time.)  When I'm doing that, I listen with my earbuds in.

14 comments:


  1. I'm not an audiobook person. When I am driving, I generally prefer podcasts to books. I also really love holding a book and the actual physicality of reading - holding the book etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would much rather listen to the audiobook, unless the narrator stinks, than I am turned off. Have a great weekend, Mark 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an excellent first line and I am intrigued! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great opening to that book! It hints at the author having a sense of humor, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the beginning!!! Pulls you right in! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great beginning! Dare I add another series to my must try list?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this series on my TBR but haven't started it yet. Love the teasers! I'm hybrid too. I use earbuds for when I'm taking a walk or something like that but if I'm at home I normally just have my phone in my pocket - unless I'm listening to something a bit more violent or that has a subject matter that I don't want my son to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great opening! Why is he in handcuffs? So many questions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great beginning! I've been wanting to read this series. It sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Metropolitan Affair by Jocelyn Green. It's really good!
    "In some ways, Ivy and Elsa were two peas in a pod."
    I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agreed - that's a great opening! And I only use earbuds occasionally when I'm taking a walk....mostly I listen on my commute.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/friday-memes-14

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree! That was a great opening! I definitely want to keep reading. Hope you have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't even live alone and still listen with no earbuds at home. I only use them when I'm at work, and if I was currently an active gym goer I'd use them there as well. Have a great weekend. - Katie

    My BBH if you care to visit - https://justanothergirlandherbooks.blogspot.com/2023/03/book-blogger-hop-headphones-for.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.