Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Ornament Review: That Holy Night - 2004 Hallmark Release

Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Three great nativity based ornaments
Cons: One really tips forward
The Bottom Line:
Three ornament set
Captures the Christmas story
Favorites on tree



Three Ornament Set Celebrating What Christmas is Really All About

Even before I had officially started collection Hallmark ornaments, I had bought a few of them.  One of those sets that I absolutely love is That Holy Night, a set from 2004.  There are three ornaments, and they capture the main characters of the Biblical Christmas story perfectly.

The first ornament features Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus.  He’s wrapped in clothes and lying in the manger.  There’s a little lamb right next to Him, and Mary and Joseph are kneeling next to Him.  In the front of the ornament, it says “Praise Him.”

The second ornament features two shepherds.  One is standing with his staff in one hand and he’s pointing in the distance with the other.  The second shepherd is still on the ground with a lamb under one arm.  The ornament’s caption is “Find Him.”

Finally, we have the wise men.  Yes, there are three of them, each holding a gift.  Their caption is “Seek Him.”

All three ornaments are made out of pewter, so they are silver in color.  Each has some highlights painted gold, however.  The result is beautiful to look at.  It’s amazing how much detail the get on these pieces without the traditional multi-colored paint to help them.  I truly appreciate that.

Each scene is on a flat base, so you could set them out to be displayed if you want.

Unfortunately, only two of the three hang straight.  The scene with Mary, Joseph, and Jesus tips forward quite a bit.  I was a bit surprised when I realized this as I was writing my review, which means it is easy to hide that with tree branches when you go to place it on your tree.

That piece also has an arm coming out from behind the ornament to hang it on your tree.  Mine is getting wobbly, but it is still in the ornament.  I really worry I’m going to open it and find this arm no longer attached some year.  And maybe the fact that it is wobbly ties into how much it tips forward.

I have to comment on the hook for the shepherds.  It’s the one shepherd’s staff.  I LOVE that.  (The wise men have a traditional ring on top of the middle wise man’s head.

These are not miniature ornaments, but regular size.  They might be slightly on the small size for a Hallmark ornament, but I think they are the perfect size for putting on your tree.  I like to spread them out, but they’d also look great hung together to create a nativity scene.  I may have to do that some year.

I don’t have a lot of religious ornaments in my collection.  Maybe that’s part of what makes this set so special to me.  I definitely love how it looks and the messages on each ornament.

That Holy Night has obviously been out of production for years at this point.  I’m glad I have my set, and if these sound appealing to you, I think they would be worth tracking down.

1 comment:

  1. This are pretty. I like that they are tabletop ornaments

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.