Monday, September 22, 2014

My Nightstand - Summer 2014

It is the fourth Tuesday of the month (or close enough) which means it is time for What's on Your Nightstand.

This has been another great month of reading.  We will see if it continues since I am a TV addict and the new fall season is starting this week.  Watch for my recaps of Once Upon a Time and Castle starting next week when they return.  (And if you like TV as well, be sure to join my new meme Weekly TV Thoughts.)

But enough TV talk and shameless self promotion.  We're here to talk about books.

Tonight, I just finished rereading Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief.  This is the 10th in the series, and I really enjoyed getting a chance to revisit the story.  Honestly, it had been so long I'd mostly forgotten what happened in the book, so it was lots of fun  For those who are not familiar with Mrs. Pollifax, she is a grandmother, garden club member, and part time CIA agent.  (BTW, her boss at the CIA is named Carstairs, in case you were wondering about my user name.)  Her adventures are suspenseful yet plenty of fun with some good humor mixed in along the way.  My review of the book should be up on Friday.

Tomorrow, I will be delving into the world of the Very Nearly Honorable League of Pirates with Terror of the Southlands, the second in this series.  It features a talking gargoyle, magic, and a young female pirate captain.  I read the first one last year and absolutely fell in love with it.

After that, it will be Raging Heat, the latest Nikki Heat book by "Richard Castle."  If you aren't familiar with this series, these are the books that the character on the TV show Castle is supposedly writing.  There are fun nods to the series, but they've turned into a great series on their own.

Also on deck will be the latest short story anthology from Chesapeake Crimes.  This collection features short stories set on various holidays, including Halloween and Christmas, but also President's Day and Talk Like a Pirate Day.  I've taken this one on to review, and I'm looking forward to it.

Also this month, I hope to get to a reread of A Model Murder by Sandy Dengler and read for the first time Stirring the Plot by Daryl Wood Gerber and The Legend of Sleepy Harlow by Kylie Logan.  Plus there are a few other books I want to read.  Obviously, it's going to be another busy reading month.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed all of the Mrs. Pollifax books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed them all the first time around, and I'm enjoying them just as much this go around.

      Delete
  2. Love Mrs. Pollifax.

    Also excited for the start of the OUaT and Castle seasons. Have to find out if he really DIED ya know.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you read the Nikki Heat books that "Castle" writes. The acknowledgements in the book that came out two weeks ago play into the whole Castle disappearing thing. I love those little touches.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.