Sunday, September 7, 2014

Cookie Review: Chewy Chips Ahoy! Sweet 'n Salty Salted Caramel Chunk Cookies



Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Great combination of chocolate, caramel, and salt
Cons: Not healthy - now with added sodium!
The Bottom Line:
Current fad flavor
Executed well in these
Delicious cookies




Salty Sweet Bakery Treat

I've been spotting more and more salted caramel items popping up over the last year or two, so I wasn't super surprised when I saw that Chips Ahoy! had jumped on the band wagon.  Since I do like the flavor, I had to give the Chewy Chips Ahoy! Sweet 'n Salty Salted Caramel Chunk a try.  I'm not surprised that I loved them.

These are the soft cookies I love in the Chewy line.  However, they have about half as many chocolate chips as normal.  In their place, they have salted caramel chips.

Sometimes with the Chips Ahoy! flavors, I complain that they are watering down the delicious chocolate flavor with whatever the current flavor might be.  That's not the case here.  You can definitely still taste the chocolate, but the sweet flavor of caramel is right there.  Since I love caramel and think it and chocolate are great mixed, I'm not complaining at all.

Then there's the salt.  It is absolutely noticeable, but not so overwhelming that it takes away from the chocolate and caramel flavors.   Instead, the three are balanced perfectly, making a tasty treat that appeals to all parts of my taste buds.

Of course, the standard cookie warnings apply.  These things are filled with empty calories, so if you eat too many, you'll gain weight.  One surprise is that the 95 mg of sodium you'll find in two of these cookies is actually the same as in traditional Chewy Chips Ahoy! cookies.  They sure taste saltier, so I'm not quite sure how they pulled that off.

Because they aren't healthy, you'll want to enjoy these as a treat.  But if you are on the current salted caramel kick, you'll love Chewy Chips Ahoy! Sweet 'n Salty Salted Caramel Chunk cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.