Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Movie Review: Remember Sunday

Stars: 3 out of 5
Pros: The leads and their characters
Cons: Story just a bit too unfocused
The Bottom Line:
Good hook for story
But not completely fleshed out
Loved main characters




Falling in Love Every Day

Normally, I don’t watch the Hallmark Hall of Fame movies.  They just don’t appeal to me.  But when I saw Zachary Levi was starring in one, I had to give it a chance, so I watched Remember Sunday.  It was like the other one I remember watching – average.

The story follows Gus (Zachary Levi), a man who has suffered a brain aneurism.  While he is still alive, he has suffered damage to his short term memory, and doesn’t remember anything that has happened for the last five years.

One day, he meets Molly (Alexis Bledel), a beautiful woman working as a waitress with dreams of starting a flower business.  They are attracted to each other.  But will he remember her tomorrow?  How will she deal with her condition?

Yes, I know the premise was done as a comedy with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler, but I’m not an Adam Sandler fan, so I skipped it.  This takes the premise in more of a dramatic direction.  Yes, there are still some laughs along the way, but for the most part the movie is trying to get you to tear up.

And it does.  No, I didn’t actually cry, but I certainly was choked up several times over the course of the movie.

That’s a direct result of the acting.  Alexis and Zachary carry this movie.  I was not familiar with Alexis before, but I loved Zachary on Chuck.  Both of them did great jobs bringing their characters to life and making me truly care about them.

I wish I could say the same about the supporting cast.  The acting for all of them was fine, but the characters were just okay.  Gus’s sister is the only one I liked – certainly not his best friend.  I really wanted to like the rest of the characters, too.

The story tries to do a little too much, and as a result it starts and drops several different plot lines.  They should have cut one or two out and better developed all of them.  The result is a climax that, while satisfying on one level, left me wishing for a bit more closure on the other.

Remember Sunday works if you just watch it for superficial entertainment.  It’s an enjoyable but forgettable hour and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.