Friday, June 24, 2016

June 24th's Book Beginnings and Friday 56

Another Friday, another Book Beginnings and Friday 56.

This week's book is Presumed Puzzled by Parnell Hall.


                                                            

This is a fun series that features lots of rapid fire back and forth, as you'll see in a few minutes.

Before we get there, here's the opening line.

"I need a client."
"Of course you need a client," Cora said.  "You're a lawyer.  Lawyers need clients."
But here's the real rapid fire quote.  To set this up, Cora is the main character in the series.  This scene finds her talking to an ex-boyfriend named Crawley who also happens to be a NYPD cop.  Stephanie is his current girlfriend.

Crowley looked up from his desk.  "Oh, hi, Cora.  Good to see you.  You tell Stephanie you were stopping by?"
"Do I have to?"
"No, I was just asking if you did."
"No, I came to see you."
"I figured that, since you're here.  This business or social?"
"If it was social I'd have called Stephanie."

I'll freely admit the humor in this series is for a certain sense of humor, but I happen to love it.  I finished the book yesterday, and it is wonderful.  I'll be reviewing it next week.

8 comments:

  1. I keep wanting to give this series a try. One day it will make it to my TBR. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsTGC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that humour too. Thanks for sharing. Here's my Friday Book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like fun. My book this week is Seconds to Live by Melinda Leigh - a romantic suspense title. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the type of humor I enjoy. I haven't come across this series before but I love the rapid fire so I'll have to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love snappy dialogue. I'm very much a character driven story gal! And it doesn't hurt that the cover makes me smile! LOL

    My Friday 56 from Ink and Bone

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love snark and dry humor so I'd probably enjoy this book! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like snappy dialogue - glad you enjoyed it. Here's my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.