Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Greyhound by Sparkle Abbey (Pampered Pets Mysteries #5)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Delightfully fun, complex mystery
Cons: None
The Bottom Line:
Fundraiser murder
Did anyone know victim?
Enjoy laughs and clues





Who Was Killed at the Party?

While I have enjoyed all the titles in the Pampered Pets Mysteries to date, I think Fifty Shades of Greyhound might just be my favorite.  Why?  You should have seen people’s reactions when they asked what I was reading.  I got some great double takes and laughs.  Fortunately, the book is as great as the title.

Pet therapist Caro Lamont is enjoying a night off at the Fifty Shades of Greyhound fundraiser, which is raising money for a greyhound rescue group.  The evening takes an unexpected turn when a man stumbles into Caro’s arms and then dies at her feet.

Unfortunately, Caro is getting used to being around murder victims.  However, this time there is an added mystery – who was the dead man?  No one claims to recognize him.  But if that’s the case, why would someone want to kill him?

The book wastes no time in dropping this mystery man at Caro’s feet, and it doesn’t really slow down from there.  Yes, a time or two it appears we are getting distracted by the various pets Caro works with, but then something happens to give Caro a piece of the puzzle.  Or a red herring.  She does figure it all out in the end, however, for a wonderful climax.

The characters in the series tend to be a tad on the eccentric side, which fits since this is definitely a comedic mystery.  They are definitely real enough for us to care for Caro and the people in her life, but you never quite know when someone will say or do something that will make you laugh.  I was disappointed that April Mae wasn’t in this book, but Betty puts in an appearance, and she more than makes up for it.

And believe me, I laughed plenty.  There are some very funny scenes in this book in addition to the fun characters.  This is definitely a book that will leave you smiling.

If you are new to the series, these books alternate between Caro and her cousin Mel.  It’s unique for a cozy series, but it really works, partially because the two women are feuding over a brooch that their grandmother left to “her favorite granddaughter.”  That adds a through line for the series and keeps me hooked, waiting to see just what will happen with it next.

I really can’t believe I let so much time lapse between reading books in this series.  Fifty Shades of Greyhound reminded me just how much fun they are.  I can’t wait to pull the next one off my stack and see what trouble Mel gets into.

Follow the antics in the Pampered Pets Mysteries.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The fifth one in the series and that good! It does sound like fun and I'm going to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to check this series out. I love books that make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.