Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Ornament Review: Everlasting Light - 2018 Hallmark Ornament


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Wonderful stained glass inspired window
Cons: None worth shedding light on
The Bottom Line:
Window to light up
Sized perfectly for your tree
A fun ornament




A Glowing Window for Your Tree

When I first started seriously collecting Hallmark ornaments, I was immediately captivated by the Windows of Faith series.  I was sad when it only lasted three entries, but I was immediately interested when I saw Everlasting Light.  This 2018 ornament captures the spirit of those ornaments and actually does a much better job at glowing.

The ornament is made to look like a stained-glass window.  The picture is of a dove flying, and right under the dove is a verse from Isiah that says "The Lord will be your everlasting light."  Around the dove are various colored rays, giving the window more color.  The window is surrounded by plastic made to look like stone.  There's even some holly with golden berries on the lip in front of the window, which helps give it a bit of a festive feel.

I love stained glass windows.  It's something I wish churches here in California had more of.  That's why I was a fan of the original series and why I was so excited to see this piece come out.  The colors are pretty, and overall it looks very nice.

And this ornament glows.  There is a hole in the back of the ornament, so you can put a bulb from a light strand into it.  Plug the light in, and the window part of the ornament glows.  This was the one flaw in the earlier series where the hole for the light bulb was in the top of the ornament, and the light had a hard time reaching the bottom.  However, with this ornament's hole is in the middle of the back, the middle of the ornament glows brightly.  The edges of the window are still a little dark, but overall, it looks great.

This ornament goes have a nice flat base, so it is fairly easy to set this out if you so desire.  However, it screams to be hung on your tree near a white Christmas tree light.  (Yes, I think it looks best with a white light, but you can experiment if you want.)  The window does hang straight, although I found that the light bulb in the ornament kept it from actually hanging straight on my tree.

The other big difference is that the earlier series was clearly focused on Christmas while this ornament is a general stained-glass window.  If you wanted to use it in other decorating, it would look great.  Honestly, I was just thrilled to see a stained-glass ornament at all; this was a must buy this year.

So I am glad I bought Everlasting Light.  This is an ornament I plan to enjoy for years to come.

Original Price: $17.99

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.