Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Book Review: Saturn Night Fever by Diane Vallere (Sylvia Stryker #3)


Stars: 5 out of 5
Pros: Fun characters, good plot
Cons: Twist makes me question one thing, but minor
The Bottom Line:
A rescue mission
Filled with space, twists, and danger
Fun filled adventure




Race to Rescue Pika

After the twist that Sylvia Stryker had in her personal life at the end of the last book, I was quite anxious to move on to Saturn Night Fever, her third outer space mystery.  Fortunately, I got it for Christmas and wasted little time blasting off again.

It's been a few months since we last saw Sylvia, and in that time, she's been living on Neptune's compound, training with him and her friend, smuggler Mattix.  One day, Mattix's ship arrives back at Neptune's place on autopilot.  Inside, Neptune and Sylvia find a message from Pika, the little Gremlon who has also been living with them, asking for help.  Then they find Mattix's body.

Naturally, Neptune and Sylvia do the only thing they can, steal a Moon Unit Corporation ship, hire a small crew, and set out to reach Saturn and figure out what has happened to Pika.  But can their crew be trusted?  Will they survive the flight?

You might have noticed that I didn't mention the cliffhanger from the last book in my teaser.  Don't worry, it is a major factor in this book.  I just didn't want to spoil anything for those who haven’t read it yet.

As always, there is a lot going on, with plenty of twists to keep us turning the pages.  Sylvia doesn't know who she can trust, and it seems she is constantly finding something to make her question her judgement.  I feel like the ultimate revelation makes some of the initial set up questionable, but maybe that was just me.  I can figure out ways it works, so it probably is just me.  Either way, I did feel this was minor and that the big picture was resolved, although I am looking forward to finding out what happens to Sylvia next.

Yes, this book has a science fiction setting, including a cast of aliens.  Don't let that scare you away if you prefer cozy mysteries.  This is still a cozy mystery at heart, just with a unique setting.

And underneath the different exteriors are still real characters, both good and bad, that will draw you into the book.  While the science fiction setting allows for some more fun, over the top personalities that would never work in a book set in the real world, everyone feels real as you are reading the story.

Sylvia's next adventure can't come soon enough.  If you haven't yet read Saturn Night Fever, you'll enjoy this space trip.

Enjoy more out of this world mystery with the rest of the Sylvia Stryker Mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.