Sunday, May 1, 2022

April 2022's Reading Summary

As I said in my Sunday/Monday post, welcome to May!  We are having wonderful weather today, and I plan to spend some time out enjoying it.  Yep, I got the index updated again this month.

All ratings are on a scale of 1 (bad) to 5 (great).  As always, the links take you to my full review.

 

A Little Class on Murder by Carolyn Hart (Death on Demand #5) – 5

When Annie is asked to teach a class on The Three Grand Dame of the Mystery for the journalism department at the college in Chastain, she quickly warms to the idea.  Her enthusiasm is only dimmed slightly when she sees the tension in her fellow faculty members and who decides to crash her class.  However, when the student paper starts printing stories that lead to deaths, Annie and her new husband, Max, begin to investigate.  Can they figure out what is going on?

This is the book where the series seems to finally be finding the right mix.  There is plenty of humor, and I laughed quite a bit.  The characters are still on the thin side, but they work to keep us engaged and entertained.  We get plenty of references to other writers and characters, mostly the three authors Annie is teaching in her class (Christie, Sayers, and Rinehart), but they never overwhelm or feel like a list dropped into the story.  And the mystery weaves all around, keeping us guessing until the end.  There is still more foul language than in a typical cozy, but as long as you know this, you’ll be fine.  I hope this mix continues as the series goes forward.

 

Once Upon Another Time by James Riley (Once Upon Another Time #1) – 5

Lena is small for a giant, but she is still ready to participate in her first Ritual of the Spark ceremony.  However, when she does go, things don’t go the way she thought they would, and she finds herself running to visit her friends in the Cursed City.  Meanwhile, Jin, a genie in training, finds himself on a mission for his current master, the Golden King.  The king is trying to capture the Last Knight, the leaders of the rebels, and his current hiding place is supposed to be the Cursed City.  What will happen when both Lena and Jin get there?

I’ve been reading author James Riley since his first book came out, and when I found out he was returning to that world for a new trilogy, I was thrilled.  This book stands on its own, although there are a few references to things from the earlier books.  We alternate chapters from Lena and Jin’s points-of-view, so we get to know them both well.  I liked them and several of the other characters here.  The further into the book I read, the more I was hooked on the story as the characters faced more obstacles.  With that ending, I’m glad the next is coming out this fall.  The target middle grade audience will love this series, and anyone looking for a fun take on familiar characters will be glad they picked it up no matter what their age.

 

Death in a Blackout by Jessica Ellicott (WPC Billie Harkness Mysteries #1) – 4

After a tragedy at home, Billie Harkness finds herself needing a new start, so she accepts an invitation from a distant cousin to visit the northern coastal town of Hull.  She arrives just before Hull experiences its first air raid in 1940.  In the devastation that follows, Billie finds a dead young woman inside a building.  Surprisingly, no debris is around her body.  In her new job in the newly formed Women’s Police Constabulary, she starts a quiet investigation.  Can she figure out what really happened?

This series debut is much like a TV show’s pilot.  We get a lot of set up near the beginning.  It helps us get to know Billie better, but it does mean it’s a while before the mystery truly gets going.  Although we do get some threads of the mystery thanks to Peter Upton, the other third person view point character.  Both of these leads are strong, and I enjoyed getting to know them.  Once the mystery gets going, it is great with plenty of twists and an ending that caught me off guard.  Those familiar with Jessica Ellicott’s other series will note the more serious tone, which is appropriate given the time and place this one is set.  I loved how the story brought the history of the era to live; the plot wouldn’t have worked in any other time.  I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what danger Billie uncovers next.

 

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

 


Murder in the Bowery by Victoria Thompson (Gaslight Mysteries #20) – 4

Frank Malloy thinks his latest client has offered him a chance for a case with a happy ending.  Will Bert is trying to reconnect with his younger brother, Freddie, after they were separated when both of them were sent west on an orphan train.  Almost as soon as Frank starts his investigation, he finds questions about Will’s story.  Then he finds Freddie, only to have him run away and then turn up dead hours later.  Can Frank figure out what is really happening?

Freddie is a newsie, and this book takes place during the newsies’ strike of 1899, made famous by the Disney musical.  This book is more historically accurate than the musical, however.  Still, I found that part of the setup fun, and the historical details about what their lives were really like was interesting.  It is quickly clear that the motive for Freddie’s murder lies outside of his life as a newsie, however.  In fact, this book turns pretty dark with some adult discussions.  This series is more serious and does dip into those waters every few books.  They are handled delicately, but know that in mind going into the story.  Even though I figured out parts of the plot early, I didn’t have the killer pegged until we reached the end.  The supporting players are all here and are all fun to spend time with.  And yes, Sarah does still play a large part in the story as always.  Fans will be glad to catch up with their friends in this book.

 

Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne – 3

Phileas Fogg, a wealthy gentleman of the 1870’s, is a man of exacting routine until one day, when he makes a wager with some acquaintances at his club.  With his bet that he can travel around the world in 80 days, he is off, shocking his new man servant, Passepartout, who was looking for a quiet job.  Things get even trickier when they catch the attention of Detective Fix, who thinks Fogg might be the bank robber everyone is on the alert for.  Will Fogg win his bet?

I’d heard about this book for years and was finally inspired to read it.  I found it mixed, at least to what I am used to these days.  The journey itself is uneven, with some areas more prominently featured than others, like the time spent in America.  My biggest problem was the characters, who are paper thin.  As a result, it took me a while to really get invested.  Unfortunately, the thinnest of the lot is the sole woman in the book.  There are a couple of complications that today’s readers will view as dated stereotypes, but they were real issues the world was dealing with at the time (or at least one of them was something that happened consistently, unfortunately).  I did get caught up in the story at times, and I appreciated how the climax was set up early on.  I’m glad I’ve finally read it, but the end result was only average.

 

Idle Gossip by Renee Patrick (Lillian Frost and Edith Head Mysteries #5) – 5

Lillian Frost and Edith Head have been summoned to the office of famed gossip columnist Lorna Whitcomb.  Her “leg man,” someone who goes out and gathers the gossip for her column, is the police’s prime suspect in the death of Glenn Hoyle, one of his sources.  But Sam Simcoe says he is innocent and only found Glenn’s body.  Lorna all but blackmails Lillian and Edith into helping clear Sam’s name of the crime.  The pair intend to do as little as possible, focusing on the names on a list found in Glenn’s trashcan.  Does one of those names hold the key to unraveling the murder?

As always, this was a great trip back in time to the Hollywood of 1940.  Real people and fictional characters rub elbows on these pages.  I suspect that a few more of the characters might be real people I just didn’t recognize, but I don’t mind since it helps keep the line between real and fictional blurry.  And they are all great characters that kept me engaged.  The plot is strong, with several revelations before we reach a surprising yet perfectly logical climax.  If you enjoy old Hollywood, this series is a must read, but anyone who appreciates a great mystery will be glad they picked it up.

NOTE: I received an ARC of this book.

 

#FollowMe for Murder by Sarah E. Burr (Trending Topic Mysteries #1) – 4

Coco Cline is a social media influencer who now works with other to help them master social media for their businesses.  Her latest clients are Sean and Olivia Chen, who are hoping to open a store in Coco’s native Central Shores, Delaware.  When Coco arrives early for a meeting with them, she finds their assistant, Stacy, dead in a back room.  With the police looking at the Chens as suspects, Coco starts looking at Stacy’s life to try to figure out what really happened.  Can she solve the case and still help her clients open their store?

This book got off to a slow start, thanks partially to a data dump first chapter that gave us lots of background on Coco.  After that, it began to build, and by the end, I was hooked, wanting to see how Coco would piece everything together.  The clues she gathered along the way helped make the ending logical.  I absolutely loved the characters.  Everyone was strong, and I can’t wait to hang out with Coco and her friends again.  I am curious where Coco’s relationship with her boyfriend is going – I feel like they both have some maturing to do.  I love the way that the internet and social media were used in the story without overwhelming it.  I even laughed at how it was included a time or two.  I will be following this series to see what happens to Coco next.

 

Cozy Up to Trouble by Colin Conway (Cozy Up #4) – 3

Beau Smith’s latest identity is Skeeter Dursky, and he’s landed at a senior apartment building on Lake Michigan in Chicago.  He’s been on the job for three days when someone from a previous location where the Witness Protection Program placed him walks in.  Then someone dies, and the police lock down the building.  Can Skeeter figure out what happened before his cover is completely blown again?

This book focuses more on the crime at hand than bringing Skeeter’s past too much into the story.  However, it felt very light.  The characters, even Skeeter, were thin, with the focus being on the plot.  There is enough going on to keep us from seeing the solution until Skeeter brings it to light.  I do enjoy the humor, including the gentle digs at cozies.  The books are short enough that I still find myself enjoying them, but the tradeoff is that there isn’t time to develop anything fully.  If you are interested and can find these on sale, then snap them up.

 

Uneasy Prey by Annette Dashofy (Zoe Chambers Mysteries #6) – 5

Zoe Chambers is back to work after a couple of months of medical leave, and her first night back in the ambulance finds her taking a call for an elderly woman who fell down the stairs in her house.  On her way to the hospital, she revives enough to say she was pushed, but then she passed out again.  When she dies, Zoe’s boyfriend, Police Chief Pete Adams, becomes involved.  The investigation quickly leads to the thieves who are targeting the elderly in the area.  Can Pete and Zoe catch them before they strike again?

Every time I pick up one of these books, I’m reminded why I enjoy them.  Zoe and Pete are both strong, and they share main character duties.  I love seeing the story unfold from both of their point-of-views, and it is always easy to follow whose head we are in.  The story includes a couple of sub-plots that help draw us into the story, and I had a hard time putting the book down.  The twists kept coming until the end.  The characters are all strong whether returning or new.  I did get a little frustrated with Pete at one point, but it was a minor point.  These books are a tad darker than the books I normally read, and they have a shade more language and violence as well, but that’s worth noting only in passing.  I hope I get a chance to pick up the next in the series soon.

 

Cheddar Off Dead by Korina Moss (Cheese Shop Mysteries #1) – 4

Willa Bauer is thrilled to be opening her new cheese shop, Curds & Whey, in the town of Yarrow Glen in the Sonoma Valley.  She’s hoping to make her dream a huge success, and part of that is a good review from local food critic Guy Lippinger.  However, Guy has a reputation for being harsh, and when he shows up to the shop, things don’t go well at all.  Hours later, Willa finds Guy’s dead body in the alley next to her shop with a knife from her shop as the murder weapon.  With the police looking at her as the killer, Willa begins to try to find alternative suspects.  Can she solve the crime?

While the cheese drew me to the book, I loved the setting since I grew up in Sonoma County myself.  I appreciate how the background we needed on Willa was doled out instead of being dumped on us at the beginning.  The result is a mystery with a steady pace and several secrets to be uncovered before we reach the logical ending.  I really liked the cast of characters, both potential series regulars and suspects.  In fact, I wanted to see more of them, but I’m sure that will come in later books.  If this book leaves you craving cheese (it sure did for me), you’ll be happy to see the recipes at the end of the book.  I’ll definitely be back to check in on Willa in the future.

 

Panty Raid by Diane Vallere (Samantha Kidd #8) – 5

Samantha Kidd and her fiancé, Nick Taylor, are in Las Vegas for a working vacation.  Samantha has been sent to attend a lingerie show, but the couple have arrived early to enjoy some time away.  However, things take a turn when Nick runs across his friend Marc Rico when they are checking into the hotel.  Nick starts acting funny before revealing a dark story from his and Marc’s past.  The next morning, Samantha finds a dead body across the street from their hotel.  Can she figure out what is happening?

This book captured my attention early and never let go.  I enjoyed the creative clues and red herrings Samantha had to navigate on the way to the solution.  There are one or two things about the climax that we have to deduce for ourselves, but they are minor.  Since Samantha and Nick are out of town, they get plenty of page time, and I enjoy seeing their relationship continue to grow.  Not to mention how Samantha is maturing.  The rest of the cast is good, and there is a reappearance of a recurring character here.  There’s also plenty of humor, and I was laughing and grinning the entire way through.  If you are looking for a fun mystery, this book is a winner.

 

Dark Horse by Gregg Hurwitz (Orphan X #7) – 4

Evan Smoak’s latest client is giving him pause.  Evan prefers to help the innocent who have gotten in over their heads.  The call he’s taken is from Aragon Urrea, the kingpin of a major drug operation in South Texas.  Evan initially hangs up on Aragon, but decides to help him because of his request.  Aragon’s daughter was kidnapped from her eighteenth birthday party by a rival drug cartel, and Aragon needs someone to get her back without starting a drug war.  It isn’t long before Evan realizes just how bad the rival gang is.  But can he find a way to fulfill his mission without compromising who he is trying to become?

Yes, this book does address the cliffhanger ending from the last book, but it spends a couple of chapters setting up this book before it gets into that.  I’ll admit, I struggled to get into the book.  The beginning was a little slow.  It was using that time to make the new characters complex enough that we could root for Evan to succeed.  It worked, because once that was established, I was hooked and raced through the book to see how Evan would overcome overwhelming odds this time.  The violence went a bit further than I felt it needed to, even for this series.  Evan continues to evolve as a character, and I love watching him struggle to overcome his training.  While not as dramatic as the last book’s cliffhanger, we are definitely left wanting to know what is going to happen to Evan next.  Fans of the series will be rewarded if they stick with the book.

10 comments:

  1. You had a great month Mark! Thanks for sharing about your April in books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are a mystery lover like myself. Glad you enjoyed these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a good month for books, I'm glad you stopped by my blog as I see you like mysteries and found a few new books in your posts to add to my TBR. Have a nice Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic month for you! Happy May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great month of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your wonderful reviews they are very helpful to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! I may return to it again and again when I need a new book to read. (Edith Head? How cool!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Around the World in 80 Days a few years ago, and it reminded me once again how the pace of books has really changed through the years. :) I appreciate the quicker pace of most novels these days compared to those in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter absolutely LOVED the Twice Upon a Time Series when it was first out, so I was excited to see that he's writing more books in that world. I'm so glad the new one lived up to the original series!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice month of reading. I need to read more cozies.

    Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.