Sunday, May 1, 2022

May 1st's Sunday/Monday Post

Can you believe we've hit May already?  The calendar says it is May 1st, so it must be.  As I'm typing this early afternoon Saturday afternoon, it is pleasant outside here in Southern CA, and I've got my windows opened enjoying it.

As always, I will be linking this entry up to:

Sunday Post
Sunday Salon
Stacking the Shelves
Mailbox Monday
It's Monday, What Are You Reading?

Last week, I mentioned going to the LA Times Festival of Books.  I had a great time.  I met up with a friend, and we hung around all day, wandering around the booths.  We spent most of our time talking to authors at the books for mystery authors, which is no surprise.  That's what we spend the majority of our time every year.  We enjoy it, but not quite as much as we do when the festival was at UCLA.  Of course, there were more mainstream vendors there then, like Barnes and Noble, Target, and Borders.  And some of the bookstores we'd regularly visit multiple times are now out of business.  And the authors we always chatted with don't come as much any more, some because they aren't writing.  Even so, I'm still glad to go every year, and I've missed it the last two years.  We also met up with Gillian, one of the co-hosts of the podcast All Things Cozy.  I'd met the other co-host, Matt, a few years ago, so it was fun to meet her now.

The rest of my week was pretty work heavy.  I had to work late a couple of days, although part of that was because I was out doing other things during the day, like allergy shots or meeting up with some co-workers for lunch.  That also did cut into my reading time, so I finished a book in four days instead of my typical three.  The horror, right?

I'm writing this earlier than normal since I'm planning to go to the LA Aviators' home opener tonight.  Haven't heard of them?  I'm not surprised.  They are a professional ultimate Frisbee team.  I'll publish this when I get back.  Should be a great time.  (Update: We lost.  Still, a fun evening away.  And I got some reading in between quarters, too.)

Let's move on to the normal segments.

This Past Week on the Blog:

Sunday - Disney Pin Review: The Musical Quill - Windows of Main Street
Monday - Book Review: Cheddar Off Dead by Korina Moss
Tuesday - Ornament Review: Merry Lil' Pluto
Wednesday - Can't Wait Wednesday Featuring A Sprinkle in Time
Wednesday - Book Review: Panty Raid by Diane Vallere
Thursday - Movie Review: Mystery Woman - Game Time
Friday - Book Review: Dark Horse by Gregg Hurwitz
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

This Coming Week on the Blog:

Sunday - May Reading Summary
Monday - Music Review: Enough Already by Brandon Heath
Tuesday - Book Review: Claws for Suspicion by Deborah Blake
Wednesday - Movie Review: Tomorrowland
Thursday - Book Review: Strawberried Alive by Jenn McKinlay
Friday - Friday Post featuring The Shadow of Memory
Saturday - Weekly TV Thoughts

Book Haul for the Week:

I'm sure it is no surprise that I got books at the LA Times Festival of Books last Sunday.  Three of these books I bought there.  The other one I bought online and arrived Friday.


These books are:
Poison Pen by Sheila Lowe
A Scaly Tail of Murder by Jacqueline Vick
Blood Red by Sherri Leigh James
Murder and Other Unnatural Disaster by Lida Sideris (the one I bought online)



I also got an eARC this week - Bayou Book Thief, the first in a new series from Ellen Bryon.

What I'm Currently Reading:

As of Saturday, I've just started Murder at Blackwater Bend by Clara McKenna.  This is the second in a historical mystery series.  I enjoyed the first, so I'm looking forward to this one.  I expect to make great progress in it on Monday.  If I read a lot over the next couple of days, I could even finish it, although I expect I will finish it on Tuesday.  (I don't read as much on weekends as I do during the rest of the week.  Go figure.)



I think that covers it this week.  Hope you have a great week.

22 comments:

  1. I wish I lived near something like the Festival of Books--that looks like fun! What an experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to hear you enjoyed the LA Times Festival of Books 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going to a book festival is always a fun time, even if you don't see many of your favorite authors or booksellers. Anything to do with books is a good time. Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing a little about the LA Times Festival of Books. We have the Texas Book Festival here, and it's always amazing, though I haven't been to it in two years either.

    Ultimate Frisbee sounds like great fun to watch. I bet it would be fun to participate in, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me dream with these pictures of sunny LA! Have fun today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A book festival would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have enjoyed that festival of books! I used to go to more things when I would visit my son in LA.

    Enjoy your week and your books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice book haul. So glad you enjoyed your time at the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The festival sounds wonderful. Wandering around book booths, talking with authors... nice. It is a bummer though when bookstores go out of business.

    Murder at Blackwater Bend looks good. Love that cover- I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Festival of Books sounds amazing. I'm glad you had fun. Your new books look great too.
    Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Festival Of Books sounds fun!
    I've only played Frisbee with my dog :)
    I love the names of Cozies, so funny!
    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you are getting out and doing some fun things. I'm not ready for that as much as I would like to do some. Happy May Day! No I can't believe it is May already.

    Anne - Books of My Heart This is my Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any book with the word "book" in the title catches my attention! I hope you enjoy all of these. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Festival of Books sounds great. I'm so glad you had a good time. I hope they have something like that in my area someday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Festival of Books sounds amazing , glad you could go! I look forward to hearing about the frisbee game or is it a match?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had tickets to the LA Times Book Festival but ended up not being able to attend; I was bummed. Allergy shots are so worth it. I did them about 30 years ago and still have no allergies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Festival of Books sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you had a good time! - Melinda @ A Web of Stories

    ReplyDelete
  18. Murder at Blackwater Bend looks appealing. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The LA book festival sounds great. How wonderful to go every year and talk with authors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like you had a good week! - Mary @Bookfan

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have Bayou Book Thief on my stack too. The book festival sounds great. I'd love to attend one. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I missed the Boston Book Festival this year because I had to work, but I hope that means that next year I'll have the Saturday off and can go. A few years ago I traveled to the National Book Festival in D.C. and the Baltimore Book Festival, which were held back to back, and I had kids living in both cities at the time, so that was a fun weekend visit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.