Thursday, July 11, 2024

Movie Review: Guys and Dolls

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Lots of fun, great songs and dances
Cons: Slow beginning, two leads aren’t strong singers
The Bottom Line:
A big musical
Lots of fun along the way
Overcomes slow start




“If You Can’t Attract Sinners, No One Can.”

Thanks to a friend who loves musicals and a local theater we both enjoy, I’ve started seeing more musicals on stage in the last few years.  One of those was Guys and Dolls, but I must admit I didn’t remember much of it.  I did remember enjoying it, so I decided to sit down and watch the movie version.  I’m so glad I did.

The movie takes place in New York City and revolves around two couples.  Nathan Detroit (Frank Sinatra) and Adelaide (Vivian Blaine) have been together for years, even though Nathan won’t marry her.  He keeps putting it off in favor of running his underground craps game.  The problem is, he has to keep moving the location so the police don’t find him and shut him down for illegal gambling.  Enter Sy Masterson (Marlon Brando), who is willing to bet on anything and everything.  Nathan needs money to rent the location for his latest game, and he hopes to get it by making a bet with Sy.  That bet?  That Sy can’t get a woman to go with him to Havana for dinner.  But it’s not just any woman.  Nathan picks Sarah Brown (Jean Simmons), a woman who has dedicated her life to savings sinners, like Nathan and Sy.

Naturally, Sarah wants nothing to do with Sy when he comes into the mission where she works.  Will Nathan win the bet?  Will he and Adelaide ever get married?  Will Sarah’s view of Sy soften?

I’ll admit, it takes a little bit for the story to get going as the movie introduces the main characters and the various sidekicks.  However, once the story gets going, it is a very fun ride.  There are quite a few funny lines that made me smile and laugh.  The story itself is fairly predictable, but this is definitely a case where I was having so much fun I really didn’t care that I could guess where the story was going to wind up.

Part of the reason I was having so much fun is the music.  There is plenty of singing and dancing here, and those numbers are wonderful.  While this movie may feature the most unique craps game ever filmed, it fits the movie, and the choreography is wonderful.  That’s just the highlight of several other great numbers over the course of the film.

And the cast is fantastic.  They doing a great job at bringing their characters to life and drawing us into the story.

This is despite the fact that Marlon Brando and Jean Simmons aren’t singers.  Yet, in a surprising move, they still did their own singing.  It works, but that is definitely a weakness of the film.

I was a bit concerned about the fact that Sarah is a Christian trying to save sinners.  This could have been turned into a case of mocking Christians.  I didn’t feel that film crossed the line.  It could have been more respectful, but it could have been much worse as well.

I’m glad I’ve now watched the movie version of Guys and Dolls.  No matter how you see it, this is a fun musical I definitely recommend you see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.