Friday, July 12, 2024

July 12th's Friday Post

We've made it to Friday again.  Time to celebrate with a Friday post.  I'll be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week, I'll be featuring teasers from A Very Woodsy Murder by Ellen Byron.


Ellen is a favorite author of mine, and this is the first in a new series set in California.  Here's now the book begins:

Dee watched her best friend check out the potential gold mine across the narrow country road from them.

Yep, just one sentence this week (I feel like I usually share more than that).  I'll leave it to you to discover more of the context.

Meanwhile, on page 56 of my ARC, we find this:

"He stole everything about my new life, including that."
Jeff's eyes narrowed. "I'm gonna kill this guy. He's not gonna get away with this."

Pro tip - Never say something like that in a murder mystery.  Unless you want to become a suspect, that is.

I had a lot of fun with this one.  It doesn't come out until the 23rd, but I'll be back next Thursday with my review.  Assuming I finish writing the review.

Let's turn to the Book Blogger Hop.  This week's question is:

July is the month for reading by the pool or on the beach. What's your favorite summer beach book, and why is it suitable for a sunny day?

I've always been a little unclear about what exactly a beach read is.  Is it one set at the beach?  Something light and fluffy?  Something that will hook you with the twists?  If that's the case, is it dark?

Having said that, I usually go with the Jaine Austen Mysteries from Laura Levine.  These are typically set in LA, so the beach is close by.  And they are very light, funny mysteries.  Nothing too serious, but they will keep you turning pages.  I also have them on my mind since I reviewed the newest in the series, book 20, this week.

And, honestly, I think you could make a case that A Very Woodsy Murder, where I got my teasers, would work as a beach read.  It's set in the mountains, but still has that light, fun feel to it.

That's it for me.  Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. A Very Woodsy Murder sounds like a lot of fun!

    Summer reads, for me, are either light or long. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what beach reads are either. Basically I just consider a beach read whatever I am interested in at the moment while laying on the beach or by the pool. So, whatever my mood reading brain has chosen in that moment, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good book.

    To be honest I'm not sure either. I just went for light and travel 🤣 the covers remind me of summer 😂

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/07/12/book-blogger-hop-summer-beach-books-recommendations/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your sense of humor that comes out in your reviews. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could never pick a favorite beach read. My books aren't often influenced by location...sometimes by weather, but mostly by mood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Very Woodsy Murder is on my wish list. I had the same thought about the Friday 56 excerpt--be careful what you say! I am glad you enjoyed it, Mark and look forward to your review. For me, I think this would be my "beach" read since I'm more of a mountains person, than a beach one. But Laura Levine's series does sound good! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Ellen Bryon, but she's on my TBR for sure. The Jaine Austen series sounds good too. Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like such a fun mystery. I'm adding it to my wishlist. Hope you have a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.