Thursday, August 27, 2026

August 28th's Friday Post

Welcome to Friday!  It's time for a Friday Post, where I will be linking up to:

Book Beginnings
First Line Friday
Friday 56
Book Blogger Hop

This week, my teasers for the first three will be coming from Murders in the Marquee by Dana Mentink.


This is the first in a new historical mystery series.  It's official release day is Tuesday, the 1st.  But I got an ARC, so I've already read it.

And here's how it begins:

Saul Niffler leaped out of the path of the Oldsmobile Runabout. The driver offered an apologetic honk on the bulb horn. From under the leather buggy top, his passenger, bonnet ribbons flying like sparrows, giggled as they sped by.

It might have helped that I already knew it was set in 1905, but somehow, that opening really put me in that time period.

Meanwhile, at 56% into the book, we find this quote:

She waved a piece of paper at them. “This is a breakthrough,” she said giddily. “It’s going to propel our case to its conclusion. I just know it.”

What is the clue?  Is it really important to the case?  Or is it a red herring?  I'll let you find out for yourself.

I completely enjoyed the book.  I hope you'll come back on Tuesday to see my full review.

Meanwhile, let's check in with this week's Book Blogger Hop.  The question of the week is:

What grabs you and keeps you hooked in a book?

For me, it's a combination of things.  The first is great characters.  Characters I enjoy spending time with will make me look forward to returning to the pages of a book.  And will make me pick up the next in the series.  But I also want a story that is moving forward.  It's a tricky balance, but if you've got characters I love with a well constructed plot, I will escape into the book for hours on end.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.